Remington varmint rifle 243

old ford

I'm been thinking about setting up a 243 varmint rifle for awhile. Due to financial limits my plan for now is to buying a factory rifle and upgrading the factory stock and trigger. I wanted to know what your thoughts are on these two Remington's. The first is a used all factory Remington varmint synthetic with h-s precision stock. The second is a new SPS varmint and I would upgrade the stock myself. I will decide about the trigger after I shoot the rifle. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance

how much had the used one been shot? i would get the one with the hs stock to save my self the trouble.

The sps varmint that I have in 243 I have shot out to 800 yards with it. Picked up a hs stock on here and put a defensive edge cheek piece on it. I have shot 75 grain v max bullets to 107 smk and 105 bergers with it, and everything that I have tried has shot well.

I'm Waiting to hear from my dealer to compare buying a new SPS and adding a precision stock or bidding on the used one.

I bought one of the cheap Remington 700 ADL Varmints with a camo synthetic stock and a 26" barrel. Brought it home, tuned the trigger, surface and pillar bedded it, and floated the barrel and action. Topped it with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 Target scope with Leupold rings and one piece base.

I shoot 87gr V-MAXs in it with 44.0grs of IMR 4350, Winchester LR primer and Federal brass. Groups average around .290-.300ths at 100yds. Shot a 2.5" three shot group at 700yds and just shot a .294 group at the range today. Fired five rounds, four went through the same hole and one was just outside the group and I called the poor shot. It was like 10* outside so I couldn't even feel the trigger and the bad shot surprised me when it went off, but I'm happy with it considering the conditions. I would definitely buy another one and just another reason why I love Remingtons. They've all performed for outstanding me, from the cheap ones, like mine, to high dollar ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.