Remington varmint rifle 243

old ford

I'm been thinking about setting up a 243 varmint rifle for awhile. Due to financial limits my plan for now is to buying a factory rifle and upgrading the factory stock and trigger. I wanted to know what your thoughts are on these two Remington's. The first is a used all factory Remington varmint synthetic with h-s precision stock. The second is a new SPS varmint and I would upgrade the stock myself. I will decide about the trigger after I shoot the rifle. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance

roninflag

how much had the used one been shot? i would get the one with the hs stock to save my self the trouble.

oldfamily

The sps varmint that I have in 243 I have shot out to 800 yards with it. Picked up a hs stock on here and put a defensive edge cheek piece on it. I have shot 75 grain v max bullets to 107 smk and 105 bergers with it, and everything that I have tried has shot well.

old ford

I'm Waiting to hear from my dealer to compare buying a new SPS and adding a precision stock or bidding on the used one.

Jud96

I bought one of the cheap Remington 700 ADL Varmints with a camo synthetic stock and a 26" barrel. Brought it home, tuned the trigger, surface and pillar bedded it, and floated the barrel and action. Topped it with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 Target scope with Leupold rings and one piece base.

I shoot 87gr V-MAXs in it with 44.0grs of IMR 4350, Winchester LR primer and Federal brass. Groups average around .290-.300ths at 100yds. Shot a 2.5" three shot group at 700yds and just shot a .294 group at the range today. Fired five rounds, four went through the same hole and one was just outside the group and I called the poor shot. It was like 10* outside so I couldn't even feel the trigger and the bad shot surprised me when it went off, but I'm happy with it considering the conditions. I would definitely buy another one and just another reason why I love Remingtons. They've all performed for outstanding me, from the cheap ones, like mine, to high dollar ones.