Remington under fire

Well That would be an accident if it hit anyone not Remington's fault. and again fire arms don't
just lay in wait until someone gets in front of them to go off.

If someone shoots a steel target to close and the bullet comes back and hits them
whose fault is that.

We see stupid stuff happen all the time and it all ways ends up being the operators fault
not the weapons.

I am sorry that you feel that I am "In the weeds" as you said but in order for someone to
get hurt by a firearm a safety rule has to be broken plain and simple.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry JE---cannot remember how many years ago---over 26 as I was not married yet but getting into my truck my 700 went off when I let the safety off to unchamber the round. NEVER since then do I carry a loaded round in the chamber --yes the barrel was pointed at the ground.

Come on 5 MILLION SOLD. To dozen death? Lets see 24 into 5 Million What % is that ? Out of the to dozen deaths how many had there finger on the trigger with safty off? I think the lawyers are just looking to get a big payday. Sure CNBC liberal hate guns.
+1

Yea all we need is to have more trigger like the Ruger mark II's. 10 + pounds and a half inch of slack!!

Remington posted this on there Facebook page a little while ago..
YouTube - CNBC Expert Cannot Replicate Misfire

I have a 600 Rem that was recalled 1n 1975? I had an incident last year, thought my girlfriend just didn't want to shoot a deer and dissmissed it. I have a 700 that it happened with . I dismissed that as my fault. Chambered a 06 reload that the case was too long for the chamber and went off. That was my fault. However the problem does exist. Will buying a Timmney or other after market trigger solve the problem ?

I bought a Jewell trigger for my 700, and installed it without any adjustments made by myself, straight from the factory. I cocked the bolt, and slammed it home pretty hard, and the firing pin dropped. I did this safety check a few more times, and then increased the sear engagement until it was safe. The point is that even with a completely different trigger design, you can still get unintentional firings if the trigger is not adjusted properly.

To the people who had misfires: Did you adjust your letoff, or sear engagement?

Post deleted as I am not yet sure what is really going on here but this issue has me very concerned.

Last edited:
in order for someone to
get hurt by a firearm a safety rule has to be broken plain and simple.

J E CUSTOM

+1

Exactly..since when did a trailer become a safe and effective backstop?...or a wall composed of drywall?...come on people, lets all get real here...as a long time firearm enthusiast, veteran, firearms instructer, and hunter education safety instructor, the very first thing that comes to mind is muzzle awareness...there is no safety mechanism greater than the one that resides between your ears...if that safety fails, then you are gonna get hurt, regardless of what make, model, or style of firearm you are using....last year or the year before last, i cant remember exactly, knife injuries became the number one killer in the hunting woods, surpassing hypothermia....how many knife companies got sued I wonder?...

Sorry JE---cannot remember how many years ago---over 26 as I was not married yet but getting into my truck my 700 went off when I let the safety off to unchamber the round. NEVER since then do I carry a loaded round in the chamber --yes the barrel was pointed at the ground.

No apologies required.

I have found that over many years of handling firearms if a firearm does something that it is
not supposed to do, there has been something that has not been cared for or it has been
tampered with by an unqualified person or just poor judgement on the owners part.

I have had one accidental discharge in my life that was an alteration that I though would
make the rifle more user friendly. It was an old leaver action that I had put a scope on
making the hammer hard to reach, so I bought a hammer spur that extended the hammer out
to one side. I though it was a slick idea until I went walking through the woods and caught
it on some vines pulling the hammer back just far enough to discharge the rifle scarring the
hell out of me. It came off immediately.

I did not blame it on anyone just my own stupidity for not seeing that it could happen.

I have been in a vehicle when a round went off and it is scary but like you said it can be avoided by not loading it untill you are ready to hunt.

When I guided I required that all firearms were unloaded and sheathed before it was allowed
in the truck And I never had a accidental discharge, But several times I had to stop a client
from taking his rifle/ shotgun out and loading it "Just in case he saw something".

This has been a good post and should be taken as a reminder that one should not tamper
with a weapon if he is not qualified and safe handling of firearms is a must.

I would hate to see Remington go the way of Ruger,Colt and others that let themselves
be intimidated by absurd lawsuits and bleeding hart liberals that just want to
take our guns by any method possible.

Again : just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

While I really and truly do feel for the family due to the loss of their son, the incident could have been avoided. Plain and simple, never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot. I don't care if your loading, unloading, cleaning, or don't even have the bolt in the rifle...you NEVER point the barrel in the direction of another person.

On the other hand, if there is a problem with the trigger I feel Remington should fix it. I have not been shooting for nearly the amount of time a lot of the members here have been, but I've never had a misfire (yet), and I hope it never does happen. I also know nothing about modifying triggers, and so I leave that to a competent gunsmith that I trust. If Remington doesn't fix it, then more people will start coming out of the woodworks claiming that it happened to them as well while trying to get a huge lawsuit going. In the end, defending the company will be more expensive (especially if they have an anti-gun jury) than just fixing the problem.

Just my 2 cents...

Those "pre-adjusted triggers" don't work sometimes because of a condition known as "stacking of tolerances". I've never been completely satisfied with the design of the factory trigger on 700's, but, I've have not seen one release the firing pin without being tampered with, not that I have seen everything, I have not. I don't use that factory trigger because of the 'loose' condition they are usually in, not made to tight tolerances (or as tight as a good aftermarket trigger is). All one needs to do is gunsmithing work and you'll quickly see all the things people can and do to their firearms. Triggers are at the fore front. They are considered 'simple', I guess because there are adjustment screws on them. Look to any forum and you'll find several looking to adjust a trigger. What's wrong with the manufactuers directions? All that's needed is a scribe to pick the epoxy out and an allen wrench to turn the screw, but which way do I turn it? Same goes for the Winchester 70, get rid of the epoxy and two 1/4" end wrenches will get 'er done. Oh! and a gauge to check pull weight with, an un-needed expense by your average 'do it yourselfer'. If you happen to suggest to that person that he shouldn't be doing what he doesn't completely understand ,to his prized rifle, you may as well go ahead and insult his manhood, too! "Nothing is indestructable to a sufficiently talented fool". People bring on many of their own problems, assisted by manufactures that don't make "fool proof" products (if there is such a thing). (gunsmithing,,,,,,, so easy a caveman can do it!)

Gotta go with JE on this one. Guns are dangerous, and wouldn't be of much use if they weren't. The question to me (which I didn't think was adequately asked and answered in the MSNBC piece) is, "is the fire control system safe as designed, and in its original factory configuration?" If it is, and later fails due to improper adjustment, poor maintanence, etc., then that's not truly a design problem. I've seen and experienced an AD with an M700 some time back when taking the safety off. No injuries, no damage done, because the gun was pointed in a safe direction at the time. If I recall correctly, there was a recall or advisory (related specifically to discharges when the safety was shifted to "FIRE") done by Remington at that time, and I haven't seen a repeat of that problem since. In the meantime, I don't know how many of you have done any pistol smithing with S&Ws, ut if you ever see how much contact there is between the hammer and trigger sear engagement when firing single action, it'll scare you. Ditto for a 1911 sear, and a host of others. Like I said, they're dangerous. If they "correct" some of these design features, we can all just get used to long, creepy 14 lb triggers from this point forward.

A gun which fails to fire when properly loaded with the correct ammunition, is inadequate to the pressures of the normal ammo it's intended to be loaded with, or discharges every time it's handled in any way, fine, those are defects that one should be able to sue for. This one, I don't think rises to that level.

I can feel for the families loss, but this isn't soley the fault of the trigger issue alone.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Gotta go with JE on this one. Guns are dangerous, and wouldn't be of much use if they weren't. The question to me (which I didn't think was adequately asked and answered in the MSNBC piece) is, "is the fire control system safe as designed, and in its original factory configuration?" If it is, and later fails due to improper adjustment, poor maintanence, etc., then that's not truly a design problem. I've seen and experienced an AD with an M700 some time back when taking the safety off. No injuries, no damage done, because the gun was pointed in a safe direction at the time. If I recall correctly, there was a recall or advisory (related specifically to discharges when the safety was shifted to "FIRE") done by Remington at that time, and I haven't seen a repeat of that problem since. In the meantime, I don't know how many of you have done any pistol smithing with S&Ws, ut if you ever see how much contact there is between the hammer and trigger sear engagement when firing single action, it'll scare you. Ditto for a 1911 sear, and a host of others. Like I said, they're dangerous. If they "correct" some of these design features, we can all just get used to long, creepy 14 lb triggers from this point forward.

A gun which fails to fire when properly loaded with the correct ammunition, is inadequate to the pressures of the normal ammo it's intended to be loaded with, or discharges every time it's handled in any way, fine, those are defects that one should be able to sue for. This one, I don't think rises to that level.

I can feel for the families loss, but this isn't soley the fault of the trigger issue alone.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

+1 Life is dangerous. Interesting invterview yesterday on NRA news with Remington Vice President we should all consider before passing much judgement.

Goto: NRA News , then click on 'Top Stories'. It's at the top of that list at the moment of this posting.

I watched the NRA response with the Remington Executive and quite frankly while he was articulate and a good soldier he did not convince me that there is no problem with the Trigger. To make the blanket unqualified statement that Remington has never received any complaints about the trigger system from Uncle is going to be a problem for them I am afraid. You are going to see very shortly people coming out about this issue---also the sniper systems that Uncle buys are based on the commercial products not a specific envelope drawing or specification if you will (not to say there is not performance specifications they must meet). If every part of a weapons system was controlled by an individual specification then it would drive the cost of each rifle into the stratosphere. Take a look at the RFP's issued for the bolt action rifle systems and you will see what I am talking about.

To make single source awards IAW with FAR part 15 is not going to happen for a rifle period end of story that is why the exemption of being commercial and competitive in some cases is used. Just recently Remington was awarded a single source contract by Uncle to "refurbish" and "upgrade" existing rifles from the OEM. This is another way Uncle can use the FAR to get around conducting a competitive procurement for new hardware. A very prominent Democrat was involved in that one btw.

The court system will be the ultimate vindication or condemnation of this issue and only time will tell but it does not look good from my view.

Trebark,

After watching the Remington response, I'm perfectly comfortable with the comments I made earlier. Looks like another MSNBC witch hunt trying to damage the industry while pretending to be the crusading good guys coming to our rescue. Remington's responses were right on, and point out the numerous problems with MSNBCs coverage here.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.