Remington under fire

Saw this on the Today Show this morning.

Remington asserted that their rifles are safe when all safety precautions are followed.

Knew this was coming!! Big Green is hosed as they should be!! Sorry but they deserve everything they get on this one. Cerbus has deep pockets..

character assasination...just as effective as a new gun law..driven by the same lobby...its really easy...never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy...

This ****es me off. They should look to see how many of the people that where hurt, played with the trigger and didnt know what they were doing. I would also like to add y did the people have the gun pointed at someone. What happened to teaching people to treat every gun as it is loaded and keep it in a safe direction.

All this is going to do is drive up the price.

Last edited:
Anyone who has adjusted a remington trigger knows what can happen if done incorrectly. I think this has a lot to do with it. Besides that the gun should have never been pointed at anyone in the first place. Hope this doesn't hurt the gun industry as a whole.......

Just got done watching this special on CNBC. Funny, I have been shooting Remingtons for a long time...have never heard of this kind of discharge from any one at the ranges, or in general.

As we all know, these triggers can be adjusted. I too know what happens when adjsuted incorrectly. I have seen, after adjsuting, the rifle fire after the bolt is closed....but only after tampering!

I agree this is simply another character assasination attempt on the industry.

Sorry guys----stick your head in the sand it is real -- no joke. Please don't make yourself look stupid because it will all be finally coming out in the wash. Hate to see it but they have known about if for a long time. It is very sad for everyone.

I don't know if it was due to improper maintenance (dirty), improper adjustment, poor design, or all three, but I have personally witnessed two Remington 700's drop the hammer with no finger on the trigger. No further investigation was conducted, one was replaced with a Jewell and the other a Timney trigger group.

I like Remingtons, but their triggers and extractors are suspect. I'm assuming the issue is not with the new X-Mark pro trigger?

character assasination...just as effective as a new gun law..driven by the same lobby...its really easy...never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy...

+1

I will not defend any thing that is unsafe but If the trigger is the issue then I will argue for
Remingtion. It is hard to kill someone if the rifle is not pointed at them and that is the first
rule of fire arm safety. Next it is very hard for a 6 Lb trigger to go off by itself.

This type of crap is the reason that gun makers took the adjustable triggers away from us
in the first place so that a mullet could not monkey with it and kill him self or some bystander.

If any one believes this is a Remington problem then they should definitely not buy one.

But as Ron White (a comedian) said "you can't fix stupid" and anyone that points a weapon
of any kind at some is eather stupid or they intend to shoot them.

Any weapon with a screwed up trigger is dangerous especially if you point it at someone with
your finger in the trigger guard or on the trigger.

There are many ways to test a trigger like Cocking the action (Unloaded) and banging the butt
on the floor or doing the same thing thing with the safety on and after banging it on the floor
flip the safety off(Pointing in a safe direction even though it is "Unloaded") if it does go off
then it is set to light.

I have never been able to set a firearm off accidentally that had a properly adjusted trigger.

So take this as just another attack on the gun world by the anti gun people.

Where I come from we find this stuff in the barn and on our boots and we call it horse $#!t.

J E CUSTOM

+1

I will not defend any thing that is unsafe but If the trigger is the issue then I will argue for
Remingtion. It is hard to kill someone if the rifle is not pointed at them and that is the first
rule of fire arm safety. Next it is very hard for a 6 Lb trigger to go off by itself.

This type of crap is the reason that gun makers took the adjustable triggers away from us
in the first place so that a mullet could not monkey with it and kill him self or some bystander.

If any one believes this is a Remington problem then they should definitely not buy one.

But as Ron White (a comedian) said "you can't fix stupid" and anyone that points a weapon
of any kind at some is eather stupid or they intend to shoot them.

Any weapon with a screwed up trigger is dangerous especially if you point it at someone with
your finger in the trigger guard or on the trigger.

There are many ways to test a trigger like Cocking the action (Unloaded) and banging the butt
on the floor or doing the same thing thing with the safety on and after banging it on the floor
flip the safety off(Pointing in a safe direction even though it is "Unloaded") if it does go off
then it is set to light.

I have never been able to set a firearm off accidentally that had a properly adjusted trigger.

So take this as just another attack on the gun world by the anti gun people.

Where I come from we find this stuff in the barn and on our boots and we call it horse $#!t.

J E CUSTOM

What if the bullet hit a rock in the ground and the travelled through your wife or child? You would have a little different outlook without all of the bravado I suspect. Sorry JE you are in the weeds on this one.

Last edited:
When the designer of the gun produces memos from the late 40's that he wrote questioning safety issues with the trigger, the company desrves whatever it has coming to them...
-
Anyone know if an aftermarket trigger would eliminate the safety issues related to the factory trigger. I had a smith readjust the pull on my 700 and now have some concerns with the thing going off.

Come on 5 MILLION SOLD. To dozen death? Lets see 24 into 5 Million What % is that ? Out of the to dozen deaths how many had there finger on the trigger with safty off? I think the lawyers are just looking to get a big payday. Sure CNBC liberal hate guns.

What if the bullet hit a rock in the ground and the travelled through you wife or child? You would have a little different outlook without all of the bravado I suspect. Sorry JE you are in the weeds on this one.

Well That would be an accident if it hit anyone not Remington's fault. and again fire arms don't
just lay in wait until someone gets in front of them to go off.

If someone shoots a steel target to close and the bullet comes back and hits them
whose fault is that.

We see stupid stuff happen all the time and it all ways ends up being the operators fault
not the weapons.

I am sorry that you feel that I am "In the weeds" as you said but in order for someone to
get hurt by a firearm a safety rule has to be broken plain and simple.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.