Remington UML whos shooting anything other than sabots ?

Powerman83

Ok guys I got a Remington 700 ultimate ML yesterday and immediately found out why people prefer not to shoot them. I research and see a lot of people are doing the arrowhead breech plug upgrade to shoot BH209. What is everyone shooting besides sabots ?

What did you find out about why people prefer not to shoot them?

I have one that I bought new, converted to to BH209 with an Arrowhead breech plug. I have yet to shoot the gun.

I will soon.

I plan to shoot sabots.
From what im hearing is that sabots leave plastic residue throughout the barrel which requires cleaning after every shot. I was watching a Youtube video about shooting powerbelts and was wondering if anyone here shoots them.

I would suggest you completely forget about powerbelt bullets. Completely.

Here's exactly what you want, FURY BULLETS. https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/223/black-powder-muzzleloader
The Universal Fit bullets are what the majority of RUM and UF shooters are now using. They are accurate and deadly on game.

You will not make a better change to your RUM than switching to the Arrowhead breech plug. https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

The exact combination shooters of the RUM and UF rifles are using with excellent accuracy is from using BH209, so you need that Arrowhead system. Once you have it, the 320gr Universal Fit Fury bullet and 106grs by weight of BH209. They're shooting bug holes with that combination.

If you are on FB, there are two dedicated sites for Ultimate rifle owners/shooters. You'll find that Remington Ultimate or in Ultimate Rifles and Conversions are monitored for only the RUM or UF and Conversions. There is no arguing or BS. If you have a question someone will answer it correctly or, they will tag someone who will. There are more than enough other sites to discuss other brands/types of muzzleloaders.

Forgot to include so I edited........ I highly recommend you consider an LR Customs T-Rex muzzle brake. I also suggest that if you intend to scope the rifle, you purchase a HIGH QUALITY scope. Recoil can be violent with heavy bullets and a full charge.

I've shot thousands of rounds through UF rifles. Good luck.

Encore is right get the Arrowhead breech plug and use BH209!

Two non sabot bullets I have found to work well in my Rem Ultimate ML are the 320 gr Fury universal fit bullet and the 300 gr Thor Hammer. Two of my friends swear by the 300 gr Thor lightnings used in the same Rem ML with Arrowhead breech plug.

When I first got my Rem Ultimate ML I used triple seven (nasty crud ring) and the supplied 250 gr sabot Rem bullets made by Barnes. I noticed when the barrel got warm or later when I shot the rifle in the summer that the heat changes the characteristics of the plastic. Heat makes the plastic soft and the group size suffered. I killed a cow elk in NM with that setup the first year.

I heard about the Thor bullets and used them the second year, killing a cow elk in NM at 285 yds. Bullet retained 297 gr. traversed 20".

Recently I tried the Fury 320 universal fit bullets. I was amazed that every load I tried shot great groups. BUT when I kept firing with a very warm barrel the accuracy was not as good. I believe the plastic base is also affected by a warm barrel.

I just switched to a Nightforce SHV 3-10 illuminated with forceplex reticle. I intend to shoot the Fury bullets in June. (Too busy fishing right now) I will know right away if the heat in Tucson will affect the results. If so I will stop shooting it till cooler weather.

I intend to use the Fury bullet this year on another cow NM hunt. It is started easier than the Thor bullets and has a higher BC.

AZShooter..............

I know most will say you don't need a wad and I'm not saying they're not right, but, in the heat you experience in AZ I'd still try one. I'd try both a veggie and wool. Its like they say, its not going to make things worse.
I haven't shot the Universal, but I've shot a lot of ST2's. I used a veggie wad.

Congrats on the purchase! You'll love it.

I will only run BH209. I don't have the UML. I run the paramount, but BH209 is so much cleaner running. I run 30 shots or more with out clean my gun and my groups keep getting tighter and tighter. Also doesn't make it harder to load your projectile. When shooting other powders I have noticed the fouling to be so bad that after the 5 or 6th shot you can't even load it because it's too hard to get the bullet down the tube.

As fbullets I have good success with powerbelts ELR, berry's(sabot), Barnes(sabot), and Parker bullets. I haven't shot the parkers personally out of my gun but I got two close hunting buddies and that's what they use and they are awesome.

If I had the UML I would run the new powerbelt ELR in 50 cal. or the Parker. Just my thought.

Arrowhead breach plug with 106 gr Blackhorn 209 with Fury Univeral Fit 320 gr bullet. Amazing combo in the RUM. 200 yrds complete pass through on mule deer last year.
96FE53E5-71A1-4884-808F-3D00920950B8.jpeg
B0580597-2CB4-4425-B1A2-70226024F3C2.jpeg

I would suggest you completely forget about powerbelt bullets. Completely.

Here's exactly what you want, FURY BULLETS. https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/223/black-powder-muzzleloader
The Universal Fit bullets are what the majority of RUM and UF shooters are now using. They are accurate and deadly on game.

You will not make a better change to your RUM than switching to the Arrowhead breech plug. https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

The exact combination shooters of the RUM and UF rifles are using with excellent accuracy is from using BH209, so you need that Arrowhead system. Once you have it, the 320gr Universal Fit Fury bullet and 106grs by weight of BH209. They're shooting bug holes with that combination.

If you are on FB, there are two dedicated sites for Ultimate rifle owners/shooters. You'll find that Remington Ultimate or in Ultimate Rifles and Conversions are monitored for only the RUM or UF and Conversions. There is no arguing or BS. If you have a question someone will answer it correctly or, they will tag someone who will. There are more than enough other sites to discuss other brands/types of muzzleloaders.

Forgot to include so I edited........ I highly recommend you consider an LR Customs T-Rex muzzle brake. I also suggest that if you intend to scope the rifle, you purchase a HIGH QUALITY scope. Recoil can be violent with heavy bullets and a full charge.

I've shot thousands of rounds through UF rifles. Good luck.
Thank you , great info

Two non sabot bullets I have found to work well in my Rem Ultimate ML are the 320 gr Fury universal fit bullet and the 300 gr Thor Hammer. Two of my friends swear by the 300 gr Thor lightnings used in the same Rem ML with Arrowhead breech plug.

When I first got my Rem Ultimate ML I used triple seven (nasty crud ring) and the supplied 250 gr sabot Rem bullets made by Barnes. I noticed when the barrel got warm or later when I shot the rifle in the summer that the heat changes the characteristics of the plastic. Heat makes the plastic soft and the group size suffered. I killed a cow elk in NM with that setup the first year.

I heard about the Thor bullets and used them the second year, killing a cow elk in NM at 285 yds. Bullet retained 297 gr. traversed 20".

Recently I tried the Fury 320 universal fit bullets. I was amazed that every load I tried shot great groups. BUT when I kept firing with a very warm barrel the accuracy was not as good. I believe the plastic base is also affected by a warm barrel.

I just switched to a Nightforce SHV 3-10 illuminated with forceplex reticle. I intend to shoot the Fury bullets in June. (Too busy fishing right now) I will know right away if the heat in Tucson will affect the results. If so I will stop shooting it till cooler weather.

I intend to use the Fury bullet this year on another cow NM hunt. It is started easier than the Thor bullets and has a higher BC

I intend to use the Fury bullet this year on another cow NM hunt. It is started easier than the Thor bullets and has a higher BC.
ok sounds great, sounds like the Fury 320 universals are the ticket , thank you

AZShooter..............

I know most will say you don't need a wad and I'm not saying they're not right, but, in the heat you experience in AZ I'd still try one. I'd try both a veggie and wool. Its like they say, its not going to make things worse.
I haven't shot the Universal, but I've shot a lot of ST2's. I used a veggie wad.
any particular brand of wad?

Congrats on the purchase! You'll love it.

I will only run BH209. I don't have the UML. I run the paramount, but BH209 is so much cleaner running. I run 30 shots or more with out clean my gun and my groups keep getting tighter and tighter. Also doesn't make it harder to load your projectile. When shooting other powders I have noticed the fouling to be so bad that after the 5 or 6th shot you can't even load it because it's too hard to get the bullet down the tube.

As fbullets I have good success with powerbelts ELR, berry's(sabot), Barnes(sabot), and Parker bullets. I haven't shot the parkers personally out of my gun but I got two close hunting buddies and that's what they use and they are awesome.

If I had the UML I would run the new powerbelt ELR in 50 cal. or the Parker. Just my thought.
ok thank you for the input, i appreciate it

What a stud buck , thank you for the info. just ordered my arrowhead breech plug. What scope are you running ?
I have a Vortex HST 4-16x44 on it. I would also highly recommend a muzzle brake on it . The one Encore suggested is probably the best. I already had a Hawkins 3 port brake, so I had my smith install it. Tames the recoil down to .308 levels easily. Very comfortable to shoot and stay on target. Without the recoil is at best violent.