Remington UML load ballistics

Koby Willis

I recently bought a RUML and just shot it for the first time this weekend. I have been recommended to use BH209 by the shop that I bought the gun from and multiple friends that have the same muzzy. (I know a lot of people say don't use BH209 because Remington doesnt warranty it but a lot of my buddies haven't had issues yet.) This weekend I was shooting 120gr by volume blackhorn 209 with a Barnes 290 grain bullet and yellow sabot. Im trying to find out fps so that I can get custom turrets made for the Vortex scope I have on the Muzzleloader. Any advice helps, fairly new to muzzleloaders. Thanks in advance!

As a long time Ultimate Firearms owner, the RUM's daddy, I'm going to give you some advice. DO NOT shoot BH209 through your RUM. Remington will not warrant the rifle and breech plug if you gas cut it. This I will tell you also, it isn't a matter of "if", its "when" it will start gas cutting the breech plug. Your shop dealer should know better, and just because your friends haven't had a problem yet, it certainly doesn't mean that they won't. Sooner or later, my bet is they will.

If you gas cut a breech plug, plan on sending the rifle back to Remington for the replacement/repair. Also, plan on anywhere from 6 to 16 weeks to get the rifle returned. Now that would be a great thing to have happen a week before hunting season.

Gas cutting can be caused from a couple different issues, but the nitrocellulose properties of BH are a factor. Next is improper head space, along with PP brass primer carriers. Some of that brass can vary in head web thickness as much as .020". Its impossible to get a complete seal of the brass to the nipple with PP brass like that. Some of the brass is known to have the flash hole off center by up to .010".

The absolute best advice I can give you, is to send your rifle off to one of three builders and have your breech plug replaced with the new ASG breech plug. Doing so, eliminates the brass quality issues, the plug won't gas cut and you can shoot BH209 without any fear of breech plug issues. The new Arrowhead Sporting Goods (ASG) breech plug is extremely strong and is more than capable of RUM maximum charges.
It'll save you a ton of money over time and one heck of a lot of work and headaches. Guys are starting to get their RUM rifles done and just love the new breech plug. ASG has now created the breech plug for the Ultimate Firearms Inc. rifles. I sent mine off last week, its complete and should be on its way home tomorrow.
The three builders are: Arrowhead Sporting Goods, LR Customs and Bestill Creations.

PS...…….. To KNOW your scope settings, shoot the different ranges and determine the additional MOA you'll need. Let them know what those are and they'll make the custom turret. I've used the custom turret, but would rather dial now.

As a long time Ultimate Firearms owner, the RUM's daddy, I'm going to give you some advice. DO NOT shoot BH209 through your RUM. Remington will not warrant the rifle and breech plug if you gas cut it. This I will tell you also, it isn't a matter of "if", its "when" it will start gas cutting the breech plug. Your shop dealer should know better, and just because your friends haven't had a problem yet, it certainly doesn't mean that they won't. Sooner or later, my bet is they will.

If you gas cut a breech plug, plan on sending the rifle back to Remington for the replacement/repair. Also, plan on anywhere from 6 to 16 weeks to get the rifle returned. Now that would be a great thing to have happen a week before hunting season.

Gas cutting can be caused from a couple different issues, but the nitrocellulose properties of BH are a factor. Next is improper head space, along with PP brass primer carriers. Some of that brass can vary in head web thickness as much as .020". Its impossible to get a complete seal of the brass to the nipple with PP brass like that. Some of the brass is known to have the flash hole off center by up to .010".

The absolute best advice I can give you, is to send your rifle off to one of three builders and have your breech plug replaced with the new ASG breech plug. Doing so, eliminates the brass quality issues, the plug won't gas cut and you can shoot BH209 without any fear of breech plug issues. The new Arrowhead Sporting Goods (ASG) breech plug is extremely strong and is more than capable of RUM maximum charges.
It'll save you a ton of money over time and one heck of a lot of work and headaches. Guys are starting to get their RUM rifles done and just love the new breech plug. ASG has now created the breech plug for the Ultimate Firearms Inc. rifles. I sent mine off last week, its complete and should be on its way home tomorrow.
The three builders are: Arrowhead Sporting Goods, LR Customs and Bestill Creations.

PS...…….. To KNOW your scope settings, shoot the different ranges and determine the additional MOA you'll need. Let them know what those are and they'll make the custom turret. I've used the custom turret, but would rather dial now.
thanks for the advice

The above is correct. Save yourself the hassle and headache and at a minimum get a new breech plug. I tried and tried to get a factory UML to shoot with no avail. I even put a Timney trigger on it and had it bedded with a Leupold VX-6 on top. Still no better than 1.25" to 1.5" groups at 100. Used different powders and even used new breech plugs to eliminate gas cutting.

I got smart and completely tore the gun apart. It now has an ASG breech blug, trigger tech trigger, McMillan stock, brux 45 cal barrel, and I only shoot smokeless H4198 out of it. Turned it in to a .5-.6" gun and has been a pure joy. I'm not saying you can't get one to shoot, but it won't come easy IMHO.

Built by Jason at Procision Arms

Attachments

• 57012FC7-2BA2-44EB-AF91-EEAFF4326AAE.jpeg
    57012FC7-2BA2-44EB-AF91-EEAFF4326AAE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 343
I shoot 108 grains of BH 209 by weight with the Parkers 300 match bullet. Shoots right at 2400 FPS and I have shot it to 500 yards. I killed a doe with it this year at 408. It will shoot MOA at 400 yards but the wind really blows those big bullets, ALOT. I put a 5-25x50 NF on mine and had a custom turret made for it. It's a great setup in my opinion.

The above is correct. Save yourself the hassle and headache and at a minimum get a new breech plug. I tried and tried to get a factory UML to shoot with no avail. I even put a Timney trigger on it and had it bedded with a Leupold VX-6 on top. Still no better than 1.25" to 1.5" groups at 100. Used different powders and even used new breech plugs to eliminate gas cutting.

I got smart and completely tore the gun apart. It now has an ASG breech blug, trigger tech trigger, McMillan stock, brux 45 cal barrel, and I only shoot smokeless H4198 out of it. Turned it in to a .5-.6" gun and has been a pure joy. I'm not saying you can't get one to shoot, but it won't come easy IMHO.

Ben, have you stretched it out to long range yet?
My BP Xpress is at the builder getting a conversion to a complete custom .45 with a Rock Creek 1:19 twist barrel with the LR Customs T-Rex CSTM brake. I'll use my current Game Warden and Jewell trigger. Love my Jewell. A 2 in 1 rifle.

I've only shot out to the 350 so far. Shot sub MOA right around 3/4 MOA, but it was my first time shooting it at distance and I expect that to get better. I'll shoot it further this year since I'll have more time with it

I've only shot out to the 350 so far. Shot sub MOA right around 3/4 MOA, but it was my first time shooting it at distance and I expect that to get better. I'll shoot it further this year since I'll have more time with it
Which bullet are you using currently?
Mine won't be back until the end of April or later, but I can't wait to get it on the 600yd range! I've sold most all my .50cal stuff, except for some wads and 400 or so sabots. I'm hanging on to 400 of the 300gr SST bullets, which you can't find in bulk anymore.

I'm using the 310 gr arrowhead performance bullet that is full form sized through a swing lock die. It works great. I have been very impressed.

I've accumulated 500 rounds to date. 200 of the 275gr Accumax and 100 of the 300gr. Both these bullets are special order with only a .015" jacket.
Dennis sent me 100 of the 275 and a 100 of the 300gr star tip 2 bullets.
My intent is to accumulate a couple hundred Alco https://www.alcobullets.com/ALCO-Pr...e-Aluminum-Tip-020-Jacket-Box-of-50_p_38.html
and also some from Luke.

I'm starting to get a little anxious the closer it gets. This one's going to be a top custom. I just hope I'm up to the tasks...….

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.