Remington trigger spring kit

Jeffrthehunter

I am starting a new budget (varmint and practice) rifle build and had this trigger laying around. Thought i would buy a spring kit to get a 2lb trigger pull. Could someone please recommend a spring or spring kit? Is this one of the Rem triggers that one would upgrade?
Thanks for reading, Jeff

20201206_144833.jpg

Holland makes a spring kit. But, just changing the spring still leaves you with the same trigger/sear engagement surface as you had, with just a lighter spring. The internals of those triggers are not as finely made as those, say,,, Shilen has in their trigger which are of the same design. I wouldn't do it, I'd change out triggers. Ever heard, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"? Almost any aftermarket trigger is an upgrade to that one you have, and safer too!

I have some ernie the gunsmith springs and really like them. I sold my timneys, jewell, etc and got some machine springs that are like ernies. You can make a rem trigger lighter and shoot great

Those who advocate just changing the spring have obviously never taken a Walker trigger apart where it can be studied closely. That spot, where the trigger and sear engage, is 'rounded' just by the way it is manufactured. Aftermarket triggers of the same design are sharp at that junction of trigger and sear as those pieces are 'cut' with a CNC controlled EDM. The aftermarket don't rattle like a pea in a tin can when they're assembled, either. Simple analogy, look at the difference between a barrel from one of the well known custom makers and some of those that the factories put out. Same goes for triggers!

Those who advocate just changing the spring have obviously never taken a Walker trigger apart where it can be studied closely. That spot, where the trigger and sear engage, is 'rounded' just by the way it is manufactured. Aftermarket triggers of the same design are sharp at that junction of trigger and sear as those pieces are 'cut' with a CNC controlled EDM. The aftermarket don't rattle like a pea in a tin can when they're assembled, either. Simple analogy, look at the difference between a barrel from one of the well known custom makers and some of those that the factories put out. Same goes for triggers!
I am curious about this. I polish the surfaces on my triggers and dont remember seeing anything rounded. Can you post a pic showing what you describe?
C53D220E-8D08-4C42-AC76-F95EB4593A25.jpeg

Last edited:
I polish all surfaces that move against each other especially sear engagment . I use dremel felt wheel loaded with white jeweler rouge. You only want to polish not change angles or remove metal. Doing this will amaze you how it makes everything butter smooth.

Attachments

• 20201207_113929.jpg
    20201207_113929.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 155
Based on the history of Remington triggers, I chose to replace mine rather than mess with the factory trigger.
Yes, much of the complaints may be hype, but who wants to chance it?

Based on the history of Remington triggers, I chose to replace mine rather than mess with the factory trigger.
Yes, much of the complaints may be hype, but who wants to chance it?
So I wanted to go this route because I know it works. A top gunsmith in Oregon upgraded one my triggers and it works great. I also own Timney and Trigger Tech and see very little difference in operation. I can afford a new trigger but wanted to try a upgrade. If for any reason I feel the trigger is unsafe it will go in the garbage.
Thanks to all those that replied!

If your fundamentals are down you should be able to shoot it just fine as is. Much of the BS surrounding Remington triggers being terrible comes from hype in my experience. I am curious as to when Remington supposedly fell off the face of the earth? I burn barrels like tires and the last 3 Remington 700 cdl ss I have bought all hammered. Triggers where more than acceptable. It's not a sako trigger but it's not a $2k rifle.

to directly answer your question I would talk with a quality gunsmith if you're not comfortable stoning your own.

I polish all surfaces that move against each other especially sear engagment . I use dremel felt wheel loaded with white jeweler rouge. You only want to polish not change angles or remove metal. Doing this will amaze you how it makes everything butter smooth.
This exactly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts