Remington stainless finish question ?

DJ Fergus

Does anyone know what Remington does for the finish on rifles like the sendero SF & CDL SF? I would guess it's soda blasted but it almost looks to smooth to be soda blasted. I would like to get a barrel finished like that.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Trinite plating on the stainless barrels?
If so, that process is the blasting before plating.
If on parent metal, the blasting can be varied depending on the finish you're looking for. If there is a metal finisher nearby, go online or pay them a visit. They can show examples of their work on test panels. Everything from walnut media to garnet media finishes can be produced, depending on the shop.
They may also be able to passivate 416 material barrels after blasting to reduce corrosion and staining.

Are you referring to the Trinite plating on the stainless barrels?
If so, that process is the blasting before plating.
If on parent metal, the blasting can be varied depending on the finish you're looking for. If there is a metal finisher nearby, go online or pay them a visit. They can show examples of their work on test panels. Everything from walnut media to garnet media finishes can be produced, depending on the shop.
They may also be able to passivate 416 material barrels after blasting to reduce corrosion and staining.
I guess that's it. So the sendero SF & CDL SF has a coating applied after blasting the finish?

I guess that's it. So the sendero SF & CDL SF has a coating applied after blasting the finish?
It does not appear to be plated with the older Trinite nickel. Looked some up online....
My bet is if you look at the finish closely with a magnifying glass or a loupe, you would see it was machine sanded very fine, but not polished. Like most barrels you would purchase from a premium barrel supplier, these don't have glare from polishing. Do not appear to be bead blasted as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.