Remington sendero SF II possible headspace issues?

chesser33

I recently purchased a sendero in 7mm rem mag and it fires factory ammo fine, but any reloads that I have tried running through it results in a stuck case. I have tried different powders at the min charge and have adjusted my die set numerous times to try and bump the shoulder back. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sticking cases is often caused by incorrect sizing or a chamber that is eccentric.
To work out if the chamber is eccentric, take a factory case and draw a straight line across the head, single feed it into the chamber carefully with the line straight up and down, fire it, remove it, rotate the line 180º and try to re-chamber it. If it's tight, then there's a good chance the chamber isn't round.
If it's not tight, then perhaps you have a minimum chamber and your die is not sizing the case enough.
Do you adjust your die from touching the shell holder or away from touching?
Try removing your firing pin assembly, if you don't know how, youtube will have video to show you how, then adjust your die until a case chambers with the slightest feel just before it closes fully. Use a different case each time you size and adjust the die, otherwise, work hardening can give false results.
Contrary to popular beliefs, some rifles have minimum chambers and the brass requires some 'cam over' to be sized correctly. Alternately, you can buy a Redding comp shellholder set that have different heights and follow their instructions to get proper case head clearance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Chesser,

I thought about your problem and have some questions.

When you say "any reloads that I have tried running through it results in a stuck case", you are talking about firing the gun with the once fired sized brass right? What is the load?

What exactly do you mean by "stuck" case:

Is it hard to chamber when you close the bolt?

Does the bolt handle move to its upward position easily?

Is it difficult to pull the bolt rearwards?

When you try to remove the case is it staying in the chamber and the extractor is not holding the rim?

How do you get it out if it is stuck?

MM did a good job explaining if it is a sizing issue.

Part of what you are describing does not make sense.

ie what you are describing is confusing because either the case shoulder is bumped back before it is reloaded or not. If it is bumped back and chambers before reloading it should work. That is the key. If it does, then you do not have a headspace issue. Your bullet might be seated too long to chamber.

1. Can you can size the case until it chambers or not?

2. How are you checking before you reload it?

3. Is the case getting stuck going in or coming out?

3. Your die might be too long and not allow the case shoulder to be bumped back and might need to have about .020 taken off the bottom IF that is the issue.

I recently purchased a sendero in 7mm rem mag and it fires factory ammo fine, but any reloads that I have tried running through it results in a stuck case. I have tried different powders at the min charge and have adjusted my die set numerous times to try and bump the shoulder back. Has anyone else had this problem?
chesser,
Are these reloads using brass fired out of this rifle?

All reloads are once fired from that rifle. I've tried 58 gr of imr 4831 and 64 grains of imr 7797. They are at the min charge. The cases are easy to chamber and are easy to extract when not fired. Once fired it's easy to lift the bolt but hard to extract.

All reloads are once fired from that rifle. I've tried 58 gr of imr 4831 and 64 grains of imr 7797. They are at the min charge. The cases are easy to chamber and are easy to extract when not fired. Once fired it's easy to lift the bolt but hard to extract.
Any marks on the case body. After you extract a fired case?

Thanks for those details Chessar. Barefooter may have hit upon the likely cause.

It sounds like the brass is expanding and conforming to an area that is larger than the rest of the chamber nearby. When you try to move the brass rearward the area of brass that expanded into that irregularity hangs up in the chamber until it is rubbed lower.

As Barefooter asked: is there a shiny area somewhere on the brass? Have you fired any factory ammo through it since this issue has shown?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.