Remington sendero SF II hard bolt close with factory ammo

chesser33

I just purchased a sendero SF II in 7mm rem mag and I bought a box of hornady factory ammo and I had a hard time closing the bolt with a case in the rifle and even got one stuck in the chamber.I bought a box of remington ammo and they do chamber easier than the hornady but are still somewhat harder than I'm used to. Do senderos have a tighter bolt or is there a possible headspace issue?

Did you clean the bore and the bolt including the bolt face really well before you tried to load it?

I had a Remington VSSF 22/250 that was that way. Remington factory loads had a definite drag on them. Winny anf Federal didn't. Never tried Hornady in it. In fact,I had to sort through my dies to find a sizer that would guarantee none of my handloads had drag on them as well. It was a Hornady New Dimension sizer that worked the best. I really didn't mind the snug chamber. Brass lasted forever.

On the other side of the coin. I had a Remington 243 that I had to "Set" a full length sizer so as not to set the shoulder back too far. If you just plugged a die into the press. Touched the shell houlder and went to it. It would back primers out ever so slightly when fired. If I set it up to size the case just past a little drag,everything was fine. Remington chambers are all over the place. At least at one point in time anyway. Both these rifles were of the same vintage.

You could go to a gunsmith with a go/no go gauge. or try other ammo. my experience with my senderos is they chamber easily . i have many friends with senderos also. no problems. the factory ammo you have should work perfectly. you could call remington. something not right if you are having difficulty.

After looking at some fired cases I noticed some scratches on them, so I'm guessing I've got a bur in the chamber. I called scheels and they said they could order in a new one but it's going to take 6-8 weeks to get another one in. Or just take it to a gunsmith and have him work on it.

If you have anybody that Remington does not have you send your rifle to for them to work on your rifle it will void your guarantee. You will find Remingtons phone number in your owners manual. Call them and they will tell you how to send your rifle to them for the fix.

Take it to a local smith and borescope it. If it's just a burr ha can polish/ream it out on the spot. Better than sending it back to Remington. My Sendero is the only Remington I have that wasn't a dud.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.