Remington Sendero History?

hnts4fun

I just bought a Remington Sendero in 7 mag and should be receiving it any day now. I know it's an older one because I paid quite a bit less than what the new ones are going for. It does have a 24 inch heavy barrel, no flutes, and was billed as 98%. I've got an inspection period of three days and the first thing I'll do is check the throat for erosion.

My question is this. The new Senderos enjoy an excellent reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy. I don't know if the earlier ones enjoyed that reputation as well. My limited research shows they were first introduced in 1994.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the early Senderos?

Thanks.
Matt

I had an early 270 sendero and my friend had one in 25-06. With the loads it liked they were both 1/2 moa guns.

I have an early model Sendero in .300win mag that has had a world of rounds through it. I shot it this a.m. and the first six shots-three at 100yds and three at 200yds went into a ragged hole each. They shoot.

Thanks guys! I kind of jumped on it without knowing a whole lot about the gun. It's my first Rem 700, mostly been a Mauser shooter, and now I'm excited to get a look at it. Thanks for passing on your positive experiences.

Matt

I just bought a Remington Sendero in 7 mag and should be receiving it any day now. I know it's an older one because I paid quite a bit less than what the new ones are going for. It does have a 24 inch heavy barrel, no flutes, and was billed as 98%. I've got an inspection period of three days and the first thing I'll do is check the throat for erosion.

My question is this. The new Senderos enjoy an excellent reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy. I don't know if the earlier ones enjoyed that reputation as well. My limited research shows they were first introduced in 1994.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the early Senderos?

Thanks.
Matt

Do I foresee a Nightforce being put on that rifle?

AJ

AJ

Indeed you do. I couldn't pass up a 1 pc 20 moa NF base and matching titanium rings...oh and the zero stop option.

I'm a hunter, first and foremost. I've hunted for over 40 years with archery gear, shotguns, rifles and hanguns. I've only killed two animals at around the 400 yd mark and most have been much closer. I don't know how far this discipline will take me; but I suspect with some learning on my part and lots of practice a few of those trophy antelope that have sat laughing at me around 500 yds out may be in peril. Perhaps a mule deer buck as well.

baldhunter, thanks for the bedding tip.

AJ, I wasn't sure how far forward the aluminum bedding block in the HS stock went. Would you please elaborate on your bedding comment a bit?

Thank you both.

Matt

Not to start a ****ing match but I bed in front of, under and behind the lug and a bit at the tang. Every one has their own idea-this works well for me on the H.S. stock. If you've gone as far as to bed a bit behind (or where) ever, use a little more and make sure there's no movement.

AJ, I wasn't sure how far forward the aluminum bedding block in the HS stock went. Would you please elaborate on your bedding comment a bit?

Thank you both.

Matt

When I bed rifle, I put a couple thicknesses of electrical tape on the bottom and forward edge (toward the muzzle) of the recoil lug. You don't want the bottom of the recoil lug to cause torque on the action when the front action screw is tightened.

AJ

AJ,

I had not heard of relieving the bottom of the recoil lug before. antelope280, I'm certainly more familliar with the method you describe but I'm here to learn.

Thanks.
Matt

Not to start a ****ing match but I bed in front of, under and behind the lug and a bit at the tang. Every one has their own idea-this works well for me on the H.S. stock. If you've gone as far as to bed a bit behind (or where) ever, use a little more and make sure there's no movement.

No ****ing match here, do it how it works for you. As the recoil lug changes temperature, it will grow/shrink. Steel changes in size the most on it's longest direction, this is why 'I' and many others do not bed under the lug. as it warms and cools, it will impart a torque to the action/barrel that will not help your accuracy.

AJ

hnts4fun,
They did indeed hit the public around 94. The original Sendero's had blued, solid barrels. No flutes. The were indeed shooters, least ways the two I owned were. All models and generations of the Sendero have 26" barrels, not 24". The first thing that came to my mind was that someone had taken the barrel off, chopped off an inch or two and rechambered it to clear up the throat. This may not be the case but beware. JohnnyK.

AJ,

Thanks for the explanation. johnnyk I will be looking this rifle over very carefully.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.