Remington Safty Problem

Nape.270

On three different occasions when flipping the safety off on rem 700 it has fired. I can never seam to make it go off when messing with it so farr it seams random.

no my finger was not on the trigger.

yes i had a trigger job dun on it.

its the X-Mark Pro.

just wondering if anyone had experience with this.

You need one or both of two things.

More sear engagement/overlap and/or more overall trigger weight.

Not cool!

Once you do this ensure the gun is cleared (not loaded) and rack that bolt hard and fast to ensure it doesn't slam fire on you. Better yet, get a leather mallet and whack on the cocking indicator a couple times too. It shouldn't drop the striker and if it does IT AINT RIGHT!

Be safe!

My father's gun smith showed him a number of years back the inherent problem with Remington safetys. He had his two son's get rid of the Remington's we had and payed for replacements for us. Said that he would never be able to live with himself if we had an accident with a rifle that he had given us. This problem is the source of the lawsuits that Remington has. From what I have been told, Remington will not do anything to correct the design because if they do, it will be like admitting that there is a problem. The cost of re-tooling and paying for being at fault in wrongful death suits is much more than paying to settle lawsuits.

I have tried to talk about this hear in the past and it seems to turn into people getting angry. I have no dog in this fight. I also do not own any Remingtons.

I will be anxious to hear peoples thoughts on this subject.

Steve

I've installed a bunch of rifle basics as they were the trigger chosen for the Dakota Arms, Inc. Predator varmint rifle. (I worked for them once)

Not my favorite piece.

I've also done a lot of jewels. They are more expensive for a reason, they work. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

My father's gun smith showed him a number of years back the inherent problem with Remington safetys. He had his two son's get rid of the Remington's we had and payed for replacements for us. Said that he would never be able to live with himself if we had an accident with a rifle that he had given us. This problem is the source of the lawsuits that Remington has. From what I have been told, Remington will not do anything to correct the design because if they do, it will be like admitting that there is a problem. The cost of re-tooling and paying for being at fault in wrongful death suits is much more than paying to settle lawsuits.

I have tried to talk about this hear in the past and it seems to turn into people getting angry. I have no dog in this fight. I also do not own any Remingtons.

I will be anxious to hear peoples thoughts on this subject.

Steve

There are probably more Remington's out there than all of the others combined so there
will be more stories about them than others because there are more of them.

In truth; Any trigger that is set wrong can and will give you problems.

Some times people adjust there trigger and don't under stand the workings of them
and render them unsafe.

Most trigger manufactures will tell you not to adjust the sear engagement because it is preset
and doesn't need adjusting and warn you that if you do it may become unsafe.

Most factory triggers cant be adjusted below 3 or 4 pounds with some loss of dependability
and safety.

For over 50 years I have seen only a handful of triggers that could not be adjusted to improve
them but there is a limit how far to go.

The best thing to do with that trigger is to replace it with a pre-set after market trigger and be
done with it.

Like Chad I prefer the Jewel over all other triggers and they will set it for what you want and
it will be safe.

I consider a person that can do a proper job on a trigger (Hone the sear angle and surface,
place the proper spring in it to land in the middle of the trigger pull range,and set the over
travel properly) an artist. and all most do is turn some screws.

So my vote would be to replace it and be safe. It is to cheep and easy and can save yourself
some grief.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks again

I dont know if I like this gun enuf to put a jewell on it but if you feal it is safer then the rest? all have to look in to it.

Remington had a recall on these about ten years ago, but if yours has been altered, they probably would not fix it. I like the Rifle Basix triggers also, and the price is reasonable. They are easy to install on a Rem.

I have seen unintentional firing pin drop on several different types of triggers. This is generally due to a lack of proper sear engagement. I installed a Jewell trigger, right from the Jewell factory, and was able to drop the firing pin by slamming the bolt home swiftly. A little more sear engagement solved that problem. Likewise on a few Remmy triggers that had "trigger jobs" performed on them with too little sear engagement. Ditto this for a rifle basix trigger, also right from the factory.

There is nothing wrong with the basic design of the X-mark pro, or old style triggers, provided they have enough sear engagement, and you haven't backed off the pull weight to a level where the spring isn't fully engaged with the trigger.

One test you should do is to cock the weapon, put the safety on, and then pull on the trigger. Now take the safety off and ensure the weapon doesn't fire - repeat 20 times. I also like to check this while its cold outside in addition to making sure the firing pin doesn't drop when the bolt is closed hard.

Last edited:
Thanks again

I don't know if I like this gun enuf to put a jewell on it but if you feal it is safer then the rest? all have to look in to it.

I do feel they are more safe than others because the Jewell has an extra part in the system
that blocks the sear even when the safety is disengaged.

If you go on line and look at them you will see the difference between them and other triggers.

They have a patent on the design .

I am a big fan of Remington triggers and have had great success with them ,But when I get
one that just will not settle down I replace it with a Jewell.

I also use a lot of Timney on rifles other than Remington (Jewell only makes triggers for
Remington's) and they work fine .

I have used a lot of other triggers and find most are better than a factory trigger.

J E CUSTOM

Steve, any idea what the design flaw is with Rem and is it limited to a particular trigger assembly or inherent in other Rem trigger assemblies? I haven't experienced the problem but ya never know.

I have not had the pleasure of having a smith show me how this is able to happen on the Rems. I would really like to hear from Kirby or one of the other smiths here that know the Rem actions inside and out.

My question would be, do the custom actions on the market that are based on the Rem design have the same potential problem? I am assuming not, but I don't know.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.