Remington SA clambering choice?

SAM1980

Hey guys got question. I think that I might have be purchasing a semi custom rifle. It's a 26" heavy target barrel, muzzle break,target Kevlar composite stock. Remington SA that has had the works done to it. It is chambered in 260 rem. original owner used it blast prairie dogs out west, or so I have been told. I am not a big varmint hunter. I prefer to chase whitetail and bear and elk. If I do purchase rifle I plan on having the barrel re chambered and possibly new riflings cut, to something a little more potent just wondering what my choices would be? Maybe 6.5x284? I'm getting a steal in this rifle, so even if I dump another five or six hundred into it I will still be way ahead of having a new one built. Thanks guys

Clambering for a chambering? Get off all fours first. Sorry couldn't resist.

The 260 would be fine for shooting deer. I'd say inspect bore if possible. If it was shot rapidly at prairie dogs the barrel could be in bad shape. If it cleans up easily and looks good I'd say shoot it and see how it performs.

If the barrel is worn out you can go deal with it in two ways. Rebarrel or have the existing barrel rebored and rifled and rechambered IF the new chambering cleans up the 260 chamber. Depends on if the barrel has flutes and maybe a muzzle brake or some other expensive work done to it making the barrel worth saving. Most shooters just rebarrel.

As for which chambering for deer there are many short action cartridges. Here are a few using the same bolt face diameter the rifle currently has which is .473" :

243 win, 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts Ack Imp., 260 Remington, 6.5-284, 7x 57, 7mm-08, 284 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 338 Federal, 358 Win

If you have the bolt face opened up to 0.534" you could use one of these:

6.5 Remington Mag, 7mm WSM, 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 300 RCM, 350 Remington Mag, 338 RCM, 325 WSM

Hope this helps.

Thank you AZshooter, for the info. The barrel is not fluted, and the muzzle break is built into the barrel. Not sure about the being on all fours comment, but let's not go down that road any further. Anyway, thanks again. God bless ya

Hey guys got question. I think that I might have be purchasing a semi custom rifle. It's a 26" heavy target barrel, muzzle break,target Kevlar composite stock. Remington SA that has had the works done to it. It is chambered in 260 rem. original owner used it blast prairie dogs out west, or so I have been told. I am not a big varmint hunter. I prefer to chase whitetail and bear and elk. If I do purchase rifle I plan on having the barrel re chambered and possibly new riflings cut, to something a little more potent just wondering what my choices would be? Maybe 6.5x284? I'm getting a steal in this rifle, so even if I dump another five or six hundred into it I will still be way ahead of having a new one built. Thanks guys

The 260 is a good white tail cartridge and so is the 7/08 and 308 all will fit in the action with little or
no modifications to the action. the 6.5x284 like some other cartridges can use a longer action.

I prefer the 7/08 for deer of the three because of bullet selection and lack of recoil.

Just some ideas

J E CUSTOM

I agree with everyone about about the 260 Remington being one of the best whitetail rounds every made. But it is on the lighter side of what I'm needing. Think that I will end up opening up the bolt face and re chambering in 7mm wsm. Pretty wide selection of bullets. Great elk round and plenty enough for whitetail.

Sam1980,

You wrote clambering instead of chambering. Look up definition of clambering and you will see:

clam·ber (kl m b r, kl m r). intr.v. clam·bered, clam·ber·ing, clam·bers. To climb with difficulty, especially on all fours; scramble. n. A difficult, awkward climb.

Just having a bit of lighthearted fun. No hidden meanings intended.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.