Remington R-25

Jayhawk

Anybody have one of these? Looked at a 7mm-08 today and on the bottom of the barrel was 1-10 which I figure is the twist, but I looked in rem's catalogue and it shows the 7-08 has a 1-9.25 twist. Really kind of looking at this instead of a .308.

I have one in 7mm08. It feeds reliably and is very accurate. Shoots .5 MOA with 139 gr SST's with 42.5 gr Varget. Also shoots factory Rem 140 gr , 140 Accutip, and Federal 140 Ballistic Tips .5-1.0 MOA. Mounted a 3.5x10 Mark 4 on it. It's a solid 500 yard deer/coyote rifle. Only drawback is that it's a little heavy and brass. The Remington brass is lousy. Primer pockets are loose after one firing and fall out on cycling.

Thanks Greyfox, does your rifle have the twist rate on the bottom of the barrel....also have you ever shot the 162 Amax in your rifle?

I have one in .308. FYI, if you ever have any trouble with it call the manufacturer (pretty sure all R25's are DPMS) instead of Remington. I purchased one NIB about a year ago. These things are going for $1600 and it was the most inaccurate gun I've ever owned. It was a consistent 2 1/2 MOA rifle no matter what you fed it, and I fed it a lot! I tried everything from different scopes, mounts, rests, holds, shooters, bipods, positions, etc...nothing helped. I had a bad feeling about this thing after I cleaned the barrel and fired the first round. There was so much copper deposited that I joked about there being any left on the bullet when it left the muzzle. After a good break in it calmed down quite a bit. Also, about 20 rounds into it the bolt release fell off the lower... This thing gave me nothing but fits so I called Remington and they said this level of accuracy was acceptable. WRONG!!!
I gave it to a reputable local smith and after scoping it said the barrel was junk. He suggested I send it to DPMS and have them rebarrel it, or he would put a Krieger on it for about $600. I called DPMS and they sent me a shipping label. A few weeks later I get it back with a new barrel, even after owning it for a year and sending hundreds of rounds through it. I gotta give them props for that. It will hold around a minute (maybe average a little better) with 175gr SMK's. That's a huge improvement!

Thanks Greyfox, does your rifle have the twist rate on the bottom of the barrel....also have you ever shot the 162 Amax in your rifle?

I checked out the bottom of the barrel and it also has 1:10 stamped on the bottom. Have not shot A-Max's out of it. Great accuracy with 140 SST's and Ballistic Tips.

You guys who reload for the 7mm08 or the 308....what OAL are you running? Are you limited by the chamber or does the mag determan your oal?

The mag length will more then likely determine Max OAL. It'll be around 2.8". My 175SMK load is 2.75" for best accuracy.

I have one in 7mm08. It feeds reliably and is very accurate. Shoots .5 MOA with 139 gr SST's with 42.5 gr Varget. Also shoots factory Rem 140 gr , 140 Accutip, and Federal 140 Ballistic Tips .5-1.0 MOA. Mounted a 3.5x10 Mark 4 on it. It's a solid 500 yard deer/coyote rifle. Only drawback is that it's a little heavy and brass. The Remington brass is lousy. Primer pockets are loose after one firing and fall out on cycling.
I have been using Remington cases almost exclusively for the last 30 years, and have NO PROBLEMS with the primer pockets. Have you ever considered that maybeso your load is a little bit VERY MUCH TOO hot?

I have been using Remington cases almost exclusively for the last 30 years, and have NO PROBLEMS with the primer pockets. Have you ever considered that maybeso your load is a little bit VERY MUCH TOO hot?
Yes, I considered that the load may be too hot, but when I backed off my charge, it didn't seem to help. The problem disappeared with necked down 308 Lapua and Norma brass(and necked up 260R). Perhaps it was a bad batch of Remington brass. I have heard that both Winchester and Remington have jobbed out brass manufacture to Asia which may have affected the integrity, or lot to lot consistency. I have moved away from the use both brands for my rifle loads.

I bought a r25 when they first came out. I fired it a few times on my range. I immediately took it to my gunsmith and installed a timney trigger and a flash surpressor. With a 4x12 leupold scope, it always was under a inch at 100 yards using bulk military and commercial(Federal .308 SP). Deer perfect. The heavy weight makes it master off hand shots at running game. The second generation selling perks are necessary compensation for encountered problems, non existent in the original.

Recent Posts