Remington R 15

I've thought it would be interesting trying to tune up an AK, to keep up with an AR. Probably have to change a few things. Tight chamber, tight headspace, quality barrel, good trigger work. Then end up with the cycling problems of an AR.

I am a Bushmaster fan , My first, Varminter 24" barrel . It is not chrome lined. The thing I do like about the Bushmaster is, they use 4150 chromemoly. My understanding is 4160 Moly is Gov. spec for machine gun barrels. It doesn't need a big heavy barrel to keep it shooting straight like the DPMS. I purchased a Bush- ORC ( does have a chrome liner) liked it very much . The main fault with the ORC is its single stage trigger. I would recommend this as a basic building block as I did. I love the M4 - 16" barrel vs 24". I do not find my Varminter that difficult to carry, 10#s with scope. Just a little too gangly . I believe the most important thing with the AR platform is mounting the scope as low as possible. I had to remove the foam sleeve on the skeleton stock to get my head down. Now it shoots like a bolt gun. I believe in lots of oil in the action and chamber flags. Happy safe shooting . lightbulb

Bushmaster, DPMS, Remington 15, all are made by the same company...DPMS.

It's kind of like buying Idaho potatoes, from Delmonte, Chiquita, or who ever, their still Idaho potatoes, maybe from the same field. The only diference is the wrapping label.

There are a few brands that are not affiliated, most still have DPMS hardware.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts