Remington PSS or Sendero

casilva43

I am looking into buying a new hunting rifle. Probabl in the 308 caliber since I need something for deer, but would also like to try some longer distance shots at the range. I have been looking into the Remington Sendero or the Remington Police sniper serires or LTR. What are your thoughts? Which of these are the better of the two guns?

I don't think you really could go much wrong with any of them, but if I has my choice it would be the sendero with ss action and barrel. I have seen some of the pss have problems with rusting on the finish. I bought a sendero in 300 ultra to base a custom rifle on. I think you will see there are alot of sendero fans on this site !

Good luck mate !

I don't think you really could go much wrong with any of them, but if I has my choice it would be the sendero with ss action and barrel. I have seen some of the pss have problems with rusting on the finish. I bought a sendero in 300 ultra to base a custom rifle on. I think you will see there are alot of sendero fans on this site !

Good luck mate !

What makes you say something like that ???:)

casilva43,
"Better of the two"? don't know that there's a hard, solid answer for that one. They're basically the same rifle with different stocks.

I have owned Sendero's in 7Mag and .300Win. Both had blued, solid barrel's and were crazy accurate. They inspired me and alot of on-lookers by making shots at distant "objects" look too easy.

I shot the .300 for a while, convinced myself I didn't need it and traded it for a beautiful 70's vintage Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243Win.

I kept the 7mag until last year and traded it. The barrel was on the way out, so I swapped it for a PSS in 7mag. It would still shoot .5" and better on somedays but would take me all day to get the copper out. The first 12" of the bore had become very rough, from heat cracks I believe. You could feel the difference with cleaning patch and rod.

I really haven't shot the newer rifle alot, yet. I've tried a few loads with the 168 SMK, 154 SST, 150 Scirroco, 150 NBT and it didn't seem to like that weight range. I did get sub .5" out of the 140 TSX, which makes me very happy as this is an awesome bullet. I make give the 140 NBT a try also. So far, the PSS is not filling the shoes of its predecessor.

I traded that sweet little .243 for a .25-06 Sendero SF. It shoots (period)and will probably stay with me for a long while. It will sling 75gn Sierra HP's at 3500+fps, 100gn Nosler BT and Barnes TSX's at 3300fps and 115gn Bergers at 3100fps all into one ragged hole.

In my experience, the Sendero shoot. I can't speak for the Sendero II's. The PSS may come around, if it does it can stay, if not I'll find it a new home. JohnnyK.

I own a 300WM Sendero and a buddy has the 308 PSS. They are both nice guns; I cannot say my Sendero out-shoots his PSS but I do feel I shoot sub-.5" groups more often than he does so it could be.

There is always a little luck in how well a gun will shoot, there iis variation even in the same brand/model. My personal bias is that the Sendero tends to shoot a little better on average. However, if I planned to start customizing on it immediately, I'd go with whichever I could find cheaper (my Sendero shoots 90% of groups under .5 MOA with no mods except a self-lightening on the trigger).

A few points:
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PSS built on a short action, and the Sendero on a long action? Will this make much difference? Not sure.

2. What kind of hunting are you thinking of doing? Out to 600 yd, or 1000 yd? You will need a different gun for 1000 yd--much heavier barrel, and thus much more of an issue if you are going to be lugging it up and down mountains. For 1K you may need to think of moving up your caliber to a 300 WinMag or equivalent.

3. Another option: If you are set on a .308 (excellent choice for out to about 800 yd depending on your target), then consider the Model 700 SS 5R Milspec. This comes with the same barrel specs as the M24 sniper rifle--24" barrel, 5R land/groove profile. From what I've read (don't have any 1st-hand experience unfortunately), this is a 1/2 to 1/4 MOA gun out of the box. Sometime can be hard to find. Look online.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.