Remington oversized threads cut to fit defiance?

I think I paid my smith $100 to turn down the barrel threads. You're way better off with a spec action, you can buy prefits from here on out or just send the barrel blank to your smith.

If it turns out you need to have the OD turned down and the tenon re-threaded you could have the threads extended and make it a nutted barrel. Depending on contour you might need to use a BugNut or similar system...

If it turns out you need to have the OD turned down and the tenon re-threaded you could have the threads extended and make it a nutted barrel. Depending on contour you might need to use a BugNut or similar system...
I'd steer clear of this unless it wouldn't effect my stock. I don't want to notch the stock

I've got less than 150 rounds thru it. It shot in the .2's
Take the barrel and action to your smith, as it also needs to be properly headspaced anyway. If your Smith knows what they are doing, then they will know how to chase cut threads. Yours are currently oversized and need to be cut down to fit the action. If I was doing it it would be around $125.00

Probably not, unless you have enough tenon to cut the threads off and start over.
Defiance threads are standard 1.062 Rem if yours are oversized most of the time smiths go .010 over 1.062
In reference to the question about Rem threads used in Defiance. The nominal major diameter of Rem is 1.062. If gunsmith opened up the action to true the action, then the barrel fitted to that action will have major diameter threads larger than standard 1.062. If gunsmith would use a "full profile" threading insert, he could pick up those threads and with the threading insert, cut the major diameter to standard Rem and at the same time cut the thread depth to exact depth specified for 16 tpi. Full profile always cuts the thread as it is reducing the diameter. Just mike the diameter of the thread tenon and if it not oversized it will measure 1.059-1.062. If it measures 1.072 or bigger, the action had been trued to straighten the threads and the barrel would have been threaded bigger to fit the action. If so just reduce those threads, using a full profile threading insert down to 1.062 or until action threads on correctly.

Well I just measured the threads on the barrel. And they are 1.062. So I guess I paid for a service that I didn't receive.

The outside threads on the defiance barrel are around 1.058

Well I just measured the threads on the barrel. And they are 1.062. So I guess I paid for a service that I didn't receive.

The outside threads on the defiance barrel are around 1.058
Every gunsmith has a different definition of "truing" an action. He might have not cut threads oversized for any number of reasons. Did you specifically ask him to?
In any case since it's not cut oversized it should fit your defiance or can be made to fit easily.

IMO, after 29yrs of building, re-cutting the threads in an action gives the least 'bang for the buck'. I mean, an action really has to be messed-up to show a measurable difference. many of my personal rifles I built on Mauser '98s. They're as crooked as a dogs hind leg, but they still shoot bug holes.

Last edited:
re-cutting the threads in an action gives the least 'bang for the buck'. I mean, an action really has to be messed-up to show a measurable difference.
I use a threaded plug "gage" to check for obvious misalignment/non-concentric threads, only takes a minute. Very rare to see enough that I feel it needs to be corrected. Like I said in the other thread, this is why you don't want very tight threads when fitting a barrel. Slight play is needed to allow the shoulders to correct for internal threads that aren't perfectly concentric.