Remington oversized threads cut to fit defiance?

bgbuck153

So I had a 700 action worked over and had a 28 nosler barrel put on it. I'm not sure what it's called but he put oversized threads on the barrel.

The question I have is can the barrel be rethreaded to go on my defiance ruckus action?

Probably not, unless you have enough tenon to cut the threads off and start over.
Defiance threads are standard 1.062 Rem if yours are oversized most of the time smiths go .010 over 1.062

It depends on how much oversized we are talking.
I just trued another Rem action this week, the threads didn't need touching at all, they were square and true to the centreline. Which is how the last dozen have been for me.
If there's enough meat, then it may be possible to cut the existing threads to suit, you can remove metal, but you can't put it back.

Cheers.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to take it to a smith to get it figured out. If not I guess I have a barrel and components collecting dust. Lol

If, as suggested above, the receiver threads were opened up .010, the major diameter of the barrel tenon will be correspondingly larger.
The barrel will not fit an M700 spec receiver.

You can sometimes use a 1-1/16 "spec" barrel with a trued receiver if the threads have only been opened slightly- but the converse (your case) will not work.

You need to have your barrel pulled, and the tenon OD and PD of the threads measured, that'll give the definitive answer.

The Ruckus has the same 1 1/16 x 16tpi threads as the Rem 700. IF the threads on your Rem 700 have been opened-up (trued) to 1 1/16th + .010" the thread on the barrel can be "picked-up" (on the lathe), and it should only take a pass or 2 to cut it down to fit the Ruckus. This does not take into account the length of the thread in the Ruckus . Thread length and the counter bore may need to be adjusted to properly fit and head space your barrel to the Ruckus action.

Consider also your round count, with an estimated acceptable accuracy life of 500-1000 rounds tops it doesn't take many down the tube to make it impractical from an economic perspective. 28 Nosler is about as overbore as you get...

If it's very low round count, high-end barrel, it might be worth the $$ to do what Shortgrass suggested; otherwise I don't think the labor to rework the barrel would be worth it. If you've got substantial number of rounds down it, and the contour permits, it would probably be best to set back the barrel and rechamber- then you'd basically be starting with a fresh barrel.

I'd ask the smith to borescope the throat. Could still be pretty substantial erosion after 150.
A lot of "ifs"...
If it headspaces correctly- or headspaces short where the shoulder can be set back without needing to mess with the chamber itself would be ideal. I'd be reluctant to rechamber a barrel that shoots that well unless there were a good reason for it. At the same time, the chamber was obviously cut well- so "following it" with a reamer to deepen it shouldn't degrade your accuracy. A slight setback to clean up the throat completely would basically get you back to a "new" barrel.

Headspace can be checked/measured without needing to do any work to the barrel, so I'd pull it and take then tenon/PD dimensions, and measure shoulder to gauge length and see what you're working with.

Just my $.02. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.

Why not buy a new barrel of a different cal. and have a second rifle built I got to agree with Coyote S T on this why part out a .2 gun when for a little more $$ you get a second rifle

Its shooting .2". Leave it alone and get a barrel made for your action. That's what I'd do. You'll have a gunsmith bill either way

Yes you can. That's exactly what I did a few months ago. Smith reworked my previously trued rem 700 action and had to open up the threads. New barrel was threaded for that oversize action bore. I then bought a Defiance and the smith turned down the oversize barrel tenon threads to fit the Defiance. If the old setup was working I wouldn't have done it though.

I decided to sell the Remington action and go with a defiance. The guy that bought the action wasn't interested in the barrel. So I held onto it thinking I could get it threaded for my defiance. It'd be far cheaper to get it rethreaded if possible than throwing another gun together. It's already cerokoted and a break on it to match the defiance. The defiance has a bartlein spun on it now

Recent Posts