Remington Model Seven Custom Build

ColtyJr

I have two Model 7s that I'm thinking about changing the contour of the barrel to something a little heavier. While I'm at it I think I'm going to change calibers one to a 338 Federal and the other to either a 7mm-08 or 257 Robert's Ackley normal twist. What say the group on tips and suggestions

I just got thru with a model seven 6.5 GAP saum. I went with a 26" 3B bartlien. It equals out to be as long as a 25" barreled 700 long action. I really like the 3B countour. I had to inlet the stock because I wanted the full 26 inches and that left it fat on the shank end cause hardly any could be taken off of the shank end. If you go with a 24 or 22 inch 3B, then you could have it shortened on the shank end and have minimal inleting done to fit in a regular model seven stock. From what you mentioned, I would lean towards the 7mm-08. I do like mine in the 6.5 GAP saum but it did take alot of work for me to fit it into the magazine and still be able to load the bullet out to the lands. It wasn't a task for the faint hearted.

Last edited:
I think the 7-08 would be perfect for what the Model Seven was supposed to be. The stocks on those are not that comfortable to shoot heavier magnums.
I have a Model Seven is .300 RSAUM, and I have a Remington Ti Mountain gun also in .300 RSAUM. The load I shoot in the Ti (180 gr @ 2960 fps) is punishing in the Seven. I reduced the Seven loads to a 168 gr in the .30-06 velocity just so I am not flinching when I pull the trigger. If I ever rebarrel the Seven it will be in 7 SAUM, or 7 WSM.
I would also suggest keeping the scope smaller to keep it nimble. I have the Leupy VX6 2-12 x44 on each and like that setup.

I have two Model 7s that I'm thinking about changing the contour of the barrel to something a little heavier. While I'm at it I think I'm going to change calibers one to a 338 Federal and the other to either a 7mm-08 or 257 Robert's Ackley normal twist. What say the group on tips and suggestions
If you ever shoot anything with the Federal, you will wonder why you took so long to use this. One of the most underrated thumpers out there. Easy to load for and plethora of cases to salvage from for reloading (anything from a 308 parent case)......

I have a model 7 in 358 that thumps pretty good with 225 gr full power loads and has been used on elk. This caliber allows you to shoot pistol bullets too. Here is my fun load: 180 gr speer FN BC .245 40 gr of H4895 velocity 1990 fps. I use that 180 when javelina hunting or varmint calling.

Thinking the 257 Roberts is too long @ 2.223". Don't forget the 260 Rem, or 308 Win. as options.

I put a SWFA 2.5-10 Ultralight with Aluminum Talley rings on it and it is a perfect fit keeping things lightweight.