Remington M700 280AI

JD338

Well, I got my 700 280AI back from the gunsmith. I had the barreled action dropped into a LSS stock that I bought from SU37 here at LRH.
Here are the specs:
M700 action, blueprinted and lugs lapped
David Tubb recoil lug
Hart barrel, #5 flutted 24"
LSS stock with R3 recoil pad, pillar bedded
Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14PR with factory installed M1 dials
Leupold rings and bases
JD700280AI.jpg

This rifle shoots the Nosler 160 gr AB with a healthy dose of RL22 at 3020 fps and has shot in the .2's. I will start shooting this weekend and hope she shoots as good or better in the new stock.

JD338

JD ,

That is one fine rifle !

Although i have three hs precision stocks and but one laminated stock i like the look and feel of laminate more and more.
280 AI is about as balanced of a cartridge as i can imagine.
Shooting in the .2's -i bet she'll like her new home in the laminate..-Mike

Sweet looking rifle there Jim! She sure is purdy! Hope it shoots better for ya with the new stock, although theres nothing wrong with .2" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll say, nice rig! I believe in that round myself and am in the process of having a little toting rifle built on that round!!

I hope mine will shoot in the two's!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I will do some serious shooting this weekend.

Bill,

Congrats on the 280AI. Let me know of you want some load data. I know you are leaning towards the heavier wildcat bullets, I am shooting the 160 gr AB's.

JD338

Dan B,

If I may ask, what is your load and what kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting?

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
Dan B,

If I may ask, what is your load and what kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting?

JD338

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running RL-22 w/ the 168's at a hair less than 2900fps (from memory). It has a 24" barrel. Accuracy...never really impressed me as a true tackdriver. The smithing was done by Bullberry and I had it bedded in the original ADL 1960's wood stock (steel buttplate)...so it's not the most comfortable gun to shoot. Last time at the range I managed to hit the dangling end link of the gong support chain twice in a row at 500yds...that was maybe a 2"x3" target. Mostly though it's a MOA shooter.

I got this rifle (originally a .270 Win) from the my grandfather as a graduation present...he bought it new. And gave it to me as long as I did not...as he said... "mess it up too much." The barrel had a swelled spot so that repair was needed. Other than that and better optics I retained it as received per his request. A better stock with a cheek piece would be MUCH better and easier to shoot well.

I went out to the range this afternoon to do some shooting. Too windy to go long so I just shot 100 yds.
Here is a pic of my best group with my 280AI and the 160 gr AB.
280AI.jpg

3 shots outside spread is .376", .092" c of c.
My second best group measured outside spread .523", .239" c of c.
If the wind dies down, I'll shoot 200, 300, and 400 yds.

JD338

Great looking groups JD! Good to see how it does out at the longer ranges now. I'm sure based on the groups to date, they'll be really good.

Is that your new scope on it?

Cheers

Slopeshunter,

The scope is a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14PR with M1 dials added from the Leupold Custom Shop.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.