Remington LSS opinions

Triggernosis

Has anyone shot a Remington LSS? I'm wondering what kind of barrel it's got on it, quality-wise for consistent shot placement.
I want a barrel that doesn't heat up too quickly, but at the same time I don't want a really heavy varmint barrel either.
I'm considering this rifle in .243 caliber (notice my other post).

Yes, I have shot over a dozen of them. They are Remington's best valued gun in my opinion. Or should I say were the best valued Remington. They no longer produce it for 2007.

The barrel is a good diameter to hunt with and still expect decent accuracy but the stock was what set this model apart. It is heads and tails better than any of their Tupperware stocks they have now.

Goodgrouper,
Yes, it looks like I'd have to get one off gunbroker or something if I want one.
Did the barrel appear to maintain accuracy after a string of a few shots?

Well, they do to a point. It really depends on how warm the ambient air temp is. They do as good as any hunting weight barrel.

Each of them is individual of course but I would say on a 50 degree day that you can shoot probably in the area of 7-8 shots from a 243 before the bullets start walking. It is much less on an ultra mag-probably in the area of 4 shots or 3.

I got one in a 300rum and it shoots about 1-1.5moa with handloads. it is good up to 500 for elk where you can pack it around and still kill the crap out of stuff. I like it, just wish it shot better.

Ive got one and loved it till...I bought a new gun......05" groups at 300yds with nothing but a trigger job. I just kinda retired the 7RM to play with other stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have one in 7mm RM, and it shoots .5 to .75" groups with Federal Premium 160 gr accubonds, and a little better with handloads. I haven't noticed any shot stringing, even when firing some pretty quick groups.

I had one in a 300 RUM and it was pretty dang accurate for a factory rifle. It shot quite a few 4" groups at 800 yards, and I could hit a 15" gong at 1150 yards more times then not. I shot 200g AB's at 3200fps or 210g VLD's at 3000fps. The LSS is a very nice rifle IMO. To bad they no longer make them...

[ QUOTE ]
It shot quite a few 4" groups at 800 yards, and I could hit a 15" gong at 1150 yards more times then not.

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys amaze me - I'd be happy shooting 4" groups at 300 yards.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have shot over a dozen of them. They are Remington's best valued gun in my opinion. Or should I say were the best valued Remington. They no longer produce it for 2007.

The barrel is a good diameter to hunt with and still expect decent accuracy but the stock was what set this model apart. It is heads and tails better than any of their Tupperware stocks they have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I still have LSS thumbhole and LS thumbhole available in 300 RUM.
Phil

I would be happy to hold a 4in. group at 4-500with mine. It is still within minute of elk or deer but I am an accuracy freak so I hardly ever use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.