Remington LR or Savage LR - 300 win mag

StrutNut

Im looking at getting one of these two rifles. I am leaning toward the Savage with the adjustable stock and brake but am open to other suggestions in this price range. I am likely going to spend as much on glass so this is kind of my price point.

The plus for the Savage rifle is if you don't get the accuracy out of it you expect or you shoot the barrel out it is A LOT cheaper to replace it's barrel and you can do it yourself. The accutrigger in my opinion is a better trigger than the new Remington.

Brakes are overrated IMO. The 700 LR gets my vote. Put a Timney trigger in it for $120, and you should be good to go.

Either brand will need to be bedded and floated for the greatest possible accuracy.

The plus for the Savage rifle is if you don't get the accuracy out of it you expect or you shoot the barrel out it is A LOT cheaper to replace it's barrel and you can do it yourself. The accutrigger in my opinion is a better trigger than the new Remington.

+1!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 114
what about the savage bear hunter? I have one in 338 win. Thought I wouldnt like the camo stock but its has really grown on me! I also like the shorter length of the gun. My only gripe is the "pasticy" feel of the accustocks. The accustocks or a nice stiff stock but still have that hard plastic feel to them. Maybe also look at the savage 110 FCP HS Its just a hair more expensive but has a great solid stock on it.

what about the savage bear hunter? I have one in 338 win. Thought I wouldnt like the camo stock but its has really grown on me! I also like the shorter length of the gun. My only gripe is the "pasticy" feel of the accustocks. The accustocks or a nice stiff stock but still have that hard plastic feel to them. Maybe also look at the savage 110 FCP HS Its just a hair more expensive but has a great solid stock on it.

Another excellent recommendation, check out this one in .300 WSM ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually originally thinking the bear hunter but thought that extra barrel length in the LR as well as the adjustable cheek piece would be better.

Brakes are overrated IMO. The 700 LR gets my vote. Put a Timney trigger in it for $120, and you should be good to go.

Either brand will need to be bedded and floated for the greatest possible accuracy.

+1, still waiting on mine though, it's back-ordered

I really do appreciate the feedback. I still have not made up my mind. They both have a strong following and both seem to be very good for the money. Both are easy to customize later down the road. It is a tough call on the two of them. Although I dont "need" a brake the idea of holding and seeing where the bullet hits is very appealing as is the ability to let me 14yr old son shoot some long range with it. I also like the fact that I can turn it on or off depending on my needs. The Remington is less which allows me to spend more on optics. It is a very solid platform as well. Very tough call on this one.

I really do appreciate the feedback. I still have not made up my mind. They both have a strong following and both seem to be very good for the money. Both are easy to customize later down the road. It is a tough call on the two of them. Although I dont "need" a brake the idea of holding and seeing where the bullet hits is very appealing as is the ability to let me 14yr old son shoot some long range with it. I also like the fact that I can turn it on or off depending on my needs. The Remington is less which allows me to spend more on optics. It is a very solid platform as well. Very tough call on this one.

Not true. The remmy is far far easier to customize esp w/ second hand parts being available. Just read some of the frustrated threads about finding a savage LA stock, I've been there.

There is no guarantee you'll be able to see hits unless you are shooting low power optics and chances are on a LR rig you're gonna be zoomed in.

Not just the stock. Rem trigger options win by a landslide in both quantity and quality. I own a few savages and like them, but had I done my homework they would be remmys. Heck, just feeling the actions side by side would send me to remmy, again hindsight 20/20. If this were a budget rig I'd say savage all the way. IMO this is your chance to learn from my mistakes.

I think its a wash. The remington has better stock options and better trigger options. But the accu trigger is good to the point I dont think it needs to be replaced. But if you look at the savage, say you dont like the bolt knob, buy a new one for 30 bucks and bolt it on. If you wanted a fulted bolt go buy one for 80 bucks and bolt it on. Say eventually you decided to go from a 300 win to a 6.5x284. Just order a barrel from any number of manufactures and a new bolt head and your ready to go. Cant do that with a remington. Only down side to a savage right now is stock options. Any new stock I order will be a manners and they will make you whatever you want so that is a non issue for me.

Again, thanks. It is a tough call. $920 or so for the Savage online. Thats new with brake. I can get a used 700 bdl for about $450 but not a 300 win. It has wood stock and has been ported in a 7mm. I can also get a used Pre-64 m70 in a 300 win mag for less than the Savage new but it went through a house fire and would need a new stock for sure, possible a new barrel as well and that would put it well over the cost of either by a lot which would mean I would have to spend a lot less on optics.

Again, thanks. It is a tough call. $920 or so for the Savage online. Thats new with brake. I can get a used 700 bdl for about $450 but not a 300 win. It has wood stock and has been ported in a 7mm. I can also get a used Pre-64 m70 in a 300 win mag for less than the Savage new but it went through a house fire and would need a new stock for sure, possible a new barrel as well and that would put it well over the cost of either by a lot which would mean I would have to spend a lot less on optics.

May I ask, what are you looking to do with this rifle? This may help us answer some of your questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.