Remington issues a recall for rifles with their X-mark triggers

Yes, the subject is a combination of a legitimate genuine concern and and in some cases an agenda and in some cases even both.
I had genuine concern, but no longer, since I have now removed all of mine and replaced them with better units. Therefore I have no more concern. :D

Am I concerned for the safety of others....No, because I practice safe weapon techniques, and I don't walk around with my rifle cocked and on safety. It might have one in the chamber, but it's usually decocked while I'm walking to the stand. Because I do that, I rarely use the safety. If the rifle is cocked, it's because I'm in the stand hunting ready to shoot a deer. Safety-to-Fire is just one less step I have to worry about, and one less thing to go wrong to ruin a hunt.

Am I concerned for the safety of people I don't know? Of course I am.....To a point. Why else do you think I've been preaching the easiest, most effective, fastest, and efficient way to fix this problem yourself...Think outside the box. Don't rely on the company who made it. If we all shot 100% factory guns, what would be the fun in modifying and tinkering with them??? Plus, a little outside the box thinking can go a long way.

Are you making my point for me? LOL! I've had my share of Remington bolt action customs that got that way replacing parts until everything worked myself.

I may even do it again, given the lack of response from some the custom actions makers I've got un returned messages from, and I've got a 700 undesignated in the safe.

If you've had good luck with Remington stick with them, I'm still waiting for that out of the box satisfied feeling from one.
No, I'm not making your point for you. The only reason it had a Jewell trigger and an HS stock was because those were on it when I got the rifle used from a coworker back when I was at the gun store. It was originally a .22-250 heavy barrel, but the barrel was almost trashed, and I finished shooting it on out. So I had it rebarreled and worked-over.

Every factory Remington I've ever had shot great from the factory. Except my .338 WinMag, and I'm pretty sure that it was just the ammo I had for it.

My 5R MilSpec shoots 3-shot groups in the 1/8 MOA range. 100% factory, other than re-torquing the action screws to 65 inch-pounds just so I know they're properly torqued.

I had genuine concern, but no longer, since I have now removed all of mine and replaced them with better units. Therefore I have no more concern. :D

Am I concerned for the safety of others....No, because I practice safe weapon techniques, and I don't walk around with my rifle cocked and on safety. It might have one in the chamber, but it's usually decocked while I'm walking to the stand. Because I do that, I rarely use the safety. If the rifle is cocked, it's because I'm in the stand hunting ready to shoot a deer. Safety-to-Fire is just one less step I have to worry about, and one less thing to go wrong to ruin a hunt.

Am I concerned for the safety of people I don't know? Of course I am.....To a point. Why else do you think I've been preaching the easiest, most effective, fastest, and efficient way to fix this problem yourself...Think outside the box. Don't rely on the company who made it. If we all shot 100% factory guns, what would be the fun in modifying and tinkering with them??? Plus, a little outside the box thinking can go a long way.

Why else do I think you were preaching this, well I wasn't thinking about what you said at all & is no personal attack, I have just been watching this thread & others and making an observation, which I maintain.

Concerning the "do I send my rifle back?" decision:

Today UPS is delivering an unbidden 1.50 lb box from Remington which I assume is a shipping box for my son's 700. So later today I will be making this decision.

I have complied with factory recalls in the past but only concerning automobiles. Nobody makes aftermarket plastic carburetors for Chevy Sprints or Dodge Colt Vistas. Gasohol pretty much melted both of those. Factory replacements were the only solution. We are blessed to have a choice in triggers of aftermarket or factory replacement. There are a Honda, Aprilia and Yamaha crotch rockets in the garage as I write this. The Yamaha has an excellent charging system but the Honda (Japanese) and Aprilia (Italian) suffer from weak output. Both have the SAME aftermarket rectifier to correct it and that same rectifier will work on the Yamaha. Were triggers so easy. The point here is we have a choice and both are pretty good. Which is best?

In support of Mud (and justifying the rectifier replacements) the aftermarket trigger makes for a safe gun and the Brown Box Van doesn't run my son's gun through a garbage disposal. I put a better part back on both of my son's motorcycles because of the certainty of utter reliable performance. The Aprilia was parked back in the garage last night having spent (misspent?) the last week and 3500 miles on the roads between WA and CA. The worth of a USA made part reliably powering his bike all that way? Priceless! The point of the above is there is a strain gauge under the chamber of the 700 for a PT II. Does Remington refuse to fix the trigger because I "modified the gun"? Do they scrape it off or damage it because the recall has a disclaimer of any damage to non-factory parts? The install of the SG is time consuming and requires careful measuring with small hole gauges to dial it in. Not interested in doing it twice. So aftermarket has a great appeal. To Feenix, I promise to take a drilling hammer (the big 3 pounder) to the factory defect so it is not misused. This is my son's rifle, I want to go tosleep at night knowing it is utterly safe.

In support of Feenix. Compliance with factory recalls is a good idea. It does allow Remington the opportunity to correct a wide spread problem. All of us would not hesitate to send a produce back for a warranty issue for the factory to get it right. This is no different. And it removes future liability from my shoulders.

But if they mess up my strain gauge........

Not trying to muddy the water here (pun intended)....

KB

Last edited:
I likely will get a Jewell for my 5R, no way will I send it in to Rem, esp. considering how many rifles they will be dealing with. Fortunately, most of my 700's are with the older trigger & work just fine.

There are people that share their opinion(s) and then there's OPINIONATED people. :rolleyes:
Oh, we're not breaking any new ground here. I'm well aware I'm opinionated. But I also have my reasons for having those opinions.

Alot of folks are blindly opinionated, and only go off of hear-say...I go by personal experiences.

Today UPS is delivering an unbidden 1.50 lb box from Remington which I assume is a shipping box for my son's 700. So later today I will be making this decision.

I have complied with factory recalls in the past but only concerning automobiles. Nobody makes aftermarket plastic carburetors for Chevy Sprints or Dodge Colt Vistas. Gasohol pretty much melted both of those. Factory replacements were the only solution. We are blessed to have a choice in triggers of aftermarket or factory replacement. There are a Honda, Aprilia and Yamaha crotch rockets in the garage as I write this. The Yamaha has an excellent charging system but the Honda (Japanese) and Aprilia (Italian) suffer from weak output. Both have the SAME aftermarket rectifier to correct it and that same rectifier will work on the Yamaha. Were triggers so easy. The point here is we have a choice and both are pretty good. Which is best?

In support of Mud (and justifying the rectifier replacements) the aftermarket trigger makes for a safe gun and the Brown Box Van doesn't run my son's gun through a garbage disposal. I put a better part back on both of my son's motorcycles because of the certainty of utter reliable performance. The Aprilia was parked back in the garage last night having spent (misspent?) the last week and 3500 miles on the roads between WA and CA. The worth of a USA made part reliably powering his bike all that way? Priceless! The point of the above is there is a strain gauge under the chamber of the 700 for a PT II. Does Remington refuse to fix the trigger because I "modified the gun"? Do they scrape it off or damage it because the recall has a disclaimer of any damage to non-factory parts? The install of the SG is time consuming and requires careful measuring with small hole gauges to dial it in. Not interested in doing it twice. So aftermarket has a great appeal. To Feenix, I promise to take a drilling hammer (the big 3 pounder) to the factory defect so it is not misused. This is my son's rifle, I want to go tosleep at night knowing it is utterly safe.

In support of Feenix. Compliance with factory recalls is a good idea. It does allow Remington the opportunity to correct a wide spread problem. All of us would not hesitate to send a produce back for a warranty issue for the factory to get it right. This is no different. And it removes future liability from my shoulders.

KB
Glad I can be a pun...

I'm thinking about sending them JUST the XMP trigger in a plastic baggy with a note saying "Sent in for recall...Quantity: 1 *** X-Mark Pro trigger from a 2010 model 700 5R MilSpec .308 Win." Followed by a note. "Thanks for the piece of junk. However, I have already replaced it with a REAL trigger that wasn't a janky half-assed afterthought last-ditch effort to keep the lawyers off my back. Yall can keep it and reuse it because I don't need it, and I don't want it sitting around taking up space. Plus, with the recall going on, it would cost more to ship it than someone would pay for it, so you might as well chunk it in the trash."

I'm really debating on sending it in.

Oh, we're not breaking any new ground here. I'm well aware I'm opinionated. But I also have my reasons for having those opinions.

Alot of folks are blindly opinionated, and only go off of hear-say...I go by personal experiences.

But of course you do!

This reminds me, I saw a T-shirt once that says "Get educated, not opinionated", just might have to get it fitting for a friend.:cool:

Glad I can be a pun...

I'm thinking about sending them JUST the XMP trigger in a plastic baggy with a note saying "Sent in for recall...Quantity: 1 *** X-Mark Pro trigger from a 2010 model 700 5R MilSpec .308 Win." Followed by a note. "Thanks for the piece of junk. However, I have already replaced it with a REAL trigger that wasn't a janky half-assed afterthought last-ditch effort to keep the lawyers off my back. Yall can keep it and reuse it because I don't need it, and I don't want it sitting around taking up space. Plus, with the recall going on, it would cost more to ship it than someone would pay for it, so you might as well chunk it in the trash."

I'm really debating on sending it in.
if I had one I would send it in with the same note in tired of being research and development team for everybody its not just the gun companies

KB

KB,

Good on you! All I'm saying in #34 is pick one, know the consequences associated with the action/non-action and move on, simple as that.

all I can say is Remington needs to get there heads out of there *** I know they have funding set aside for warranty and issues like this but I must say I'm not feeling confident on getting a quality firearm from them when you think about cost of manufacturing, then you recall all these rifles that cost shipping and repair so more funding is displaced for that so what are they going to do. Are they going to skimp on quality to recover there losses its seems like a snow ball effect in not going to buy a new Remington till I'm confident in going to get a safe reliable rifle right now that's not the case . I'll buy used 700s and build off of it then I'm sure of what I'm getting to an extent anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.