Remington issues a recall for rifles with their X-mark triggers

Aaaaaaaaand.......No more XMP's in any of my rifles. :D

Just swapped it out in my 5R MilSpec .308 and did a complete tune job on it. Feels to be around 2.5-3 lbs. I took it to the point where it went off when I twisted it and found out where that was. Then took it back 1/8 of a turn and checked safe-to-fire and checked bump-test. All was good. Then adjusted the creep out of it. And like all good trigger jobs, put a dab of Permatex super glue on each screw so thry don't back out and cause any issues. She's nice and crisp now! Can't wait to get back out to the range again once it finally quits raining every weekend.

Well...I guess now I don't have to worry about sending any back................As if I was really going to do that in the first place... :D

Mudrunner

Sorry about the rain, but living in Seattle/ Puget Sound...... not really sorry.

So you refuse to send in your rifle? Just think, you could have the trigger replaced and then take it off and put it in the gun stuff junk box to collect dust. Why pass that up?

KB, part time comedian.

Mudrunner

Sorry about the rain, but living in Seattle/ Puget Sound...... not really sorry.

So you refuse to send in your rifle? Just think, you could have the trigger replaced and then take it off and put it in the gun stuff junk box to collect dust. Why pass that up?

KB, part time comedian.

This is true... It is sad to pass up that prolific opportunity to acquire more junk for my take-off parts junk boxes. But alas, the "damage" has been done.

Mud, full-time smarta**. :D

I take it from the posts that most shooters change out the trigger.

If I had a 375 H&H I would want a crisp 2 - 2 1/2lbs of pull. My 45/70 is about three even and very crisp. No reason not to have the best trigger possible on a rifle - any rifle. Self defense duty type pistol maybe not as going bang is the most important. But a rifle needs good sights, good trigger and comfortable stock in that order. If you spent $$$ on a scope spending $ on a trigger only makes sense.

Unless that 375 H&H has just iron sights.....

IMHO KB
sub moa with a 6x Nikon on top using 300 gr tsx pills or 270 speer bt's.

If I had a 375 H&H I would want a crisp 2 - 2 1/2lbs of pull. No reason not to have the best trigger possible on a rifle - any rifle. Unless that 375 H&H has just iron sights.....

IMHO KB

If you pass this way, stop by my .375 has a Canjar single set trigger in you might like. Not readily available any more, but such is life. I had one on a Remington 30-06 I let get away, but could just be a first love kind of thing, I haven't been as happy with anything else.

Lefty

Can you please post your load for the Speer 270 gr SpBT as I want to load this bullet in 375 Ruger. Speer has no data and I need a starting point.

HarperC

Dad (now younger brother) had a Mannlichter - Schoenaur in 6.5X68 MS w/ double set triggers that would fire at about 3lbs unset and ounces set. Best hunting trigger ever! I remember the Canjar single set but I haven't seen anything like that in a long time. I agree with you that once tried you will see the wisdom of a single set trigger. Too bad they never caught on!

Mudrunner

You are very funny guy! Love your posts!

KB

Here is my dilema;

I have a model 7 that was built before the recall with a XMP. Four years ago (which is during the recall period) the trigger safety failed and the gunsmith ordered a new XMP and installed it for me. Don't ask why I didn't switch to an aftermarket. Wasn't thinking back then.
Was told that this trigger is fine. Wouldn't this one have the same issue? Or was the "goop" added when installing the trigger into the rifle, as opposed to when the trigger was built?

Lefty

Can you please post your load for the Speer 270 gr SpBT as I want to load this bullet in 375 Ruger. Speer has no data and I need a starting point.

KB

Hey back! This data is for the standard 375h@h of course...
I just tossed some together on the same charge and primer I was using for the 300tsx and they shot like a house a fire. Not sure on the velocity, but at .3 moa with a 270 grain slug who cares. I only had a partial box so I went the no l.d. method and it worked.

I am using 70.0 I 4320 with a cci 250 in rem brass at 3.600" oal. With the 300 tsx I'm getting 2550 fps; I'd expect slightly higher vel's from the 270 speer.
Side note, the 260 nosler accubond shoots moa in my 375 with the same load with two grains more powder (so 72.0 I 4320).

Thanks for the load info Lefty.
Lots of members are using 4320 in the 375 H&H. I used WW 760 to good effect with the 260 Nosler AB in the 375 Ruger and WW 760 is about the same range of burn rate. Seems in this caliber/ case size 4320 burns right. Nosler 260 and Speer 270 seem to have the same bore resistance and load tolerance. They are both about the same length.

A question to respondents of this thread: Your choice of aftermarket trigger for the Rem 700? Something that is drop in and not requiring a gunsmith to grind in. I have the paperwork to send the rifle back but how good is a screwed up trigger that's been worked on?

KB

Last edited:
Thanks for the load info Lefty.
Lots of members are using 4320 in the 375 H&H. I used WW 760 to good effect with the 260 Nosler AB in the 375 Ruger and WW 760 is about the same range of burn rate. Seems in this caliber/ case size 4320 burns right. Nosler 260 and Speer 270 seem to have the same bore resistance and load tolerance. They are both about the same length.

A question to respondents of this thread: Your choice of aftermarket trigger for the Rem 700? Something that is drop in and not requiring a gunsmith to grind in. I have the paperwork to send the rifle back but how good is a screwed up trigger that's been worked on?

KB
Jewell is my favorite. But all the aftermarket ones are going to be an improvement over the factory offerings, because the factory triggers have to be "lawyer approved".

I also have 2 winners in the safe, I am hesitant about sending my rifles back to REM. but cant aford a timminy or jewell at this time so what do you do?

I also have 2 winners in the safe, I am hesitant about sending my rifles back to REM. but cant aford a timminy or jewell at this time so what do you do?

You go buy 2 old style factory Rem triggers (pre XMP), for about $60-80 (for both), and swap them in.

Unbelievable -

I am heading to the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska the last week of May for Black Bear.

Trip is all paid for - what are my options at this point?

How long will Remmy take to get this done?

I have no other rifles...........

CD

North Carolina.

I sure as heck wouldn't wait for Remington to get it done in time. I immediately requested Rem supply me with the return box and label. That was April 12th the day I discovered they had announced the trigger problem. Have not received any notification or a return box and don't expect one immediately either.

Buy a Timney, Rifle basics or Jewell trigger or find an old trigger and get that rifle ready.

I just helped a neighbor install a timney in his 60s model 700 took 1/2 hr with some minor wood filing.

I noticed Midway no longer has the timney trigger on sale and all are out of stock. Perhaps demand will spike and they will be as hard to find as handloading components. Bet jewell's will be available though because they cost approx. $200.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.