remington extractor!!

boogsy

So, I got a new Rem 700 7mag for xmas. Reloaded some shells using new hornady brass. I finally got to fire it couple of days ago and learned that the extractor won't pull the shell from the chamber. Before firing or not. does anyone have any experiance with remingtons warranty service? Or is this even worth the hassle or just have a new extractor put in it. This looks like it is one of those that is rivited does this make it a lot more difficult to change?
Very depressing but fixable.gun)

Never had an issue with a rem extractor; sounds like you have a dimension issue on your reloads to me. Does the thing eat factories without a hiccup??

What do you mean, "it won't extract"? Does it work right with your unloaded new cases or factory ammo? Do you mean once the bolt is closed you can't get it open without pounding the handle? Does the extractor slip off the case easily or does it take a bite out of the rim?

Same thing happened to me. Brand new 300 Win mag. Shot 8 rounds when it happened on the last shot. Shot, pulled the bolt back and...No case. Pointed the gun skyward, thumped the stock with the heel of my hand and the case fell out.

It may just be stuck. If a piece of foreign material get in the bolt face, it can jamb the extractor. Check it out with a pick or some such. See if you can push it around a little. Sometimes it will free it up. I had it happen to mine. A sliver of brass got in there. worth a look. If it is broken, back to Rem.

Had the same thing happen to me on a 700 (7MAG). After an eventful elk hunt with it, I sold it and bought me a Browning A-Bolt. Don't know if it is a big problem, but wasn't willing to find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.