Remington Education

JWgroups

I just purchased a used Remington Model 700 22-250 varmint (ADL). I truly bought it for the action but now I'm a little worried. I ordered a Trigger Tech Rem 700 Special to get started in my build but after installing the rifle would dry fire but then not re-cock. I hit the bolt release and pulled bolt out and tried again with the same results. I called Trigger Tech and they stated that the timing could be off in the gun, they are sending me a replacement and were very nice. My concern is did I get one of Remington's bad rifles, can this be corrected?? I installed the stock trigger back in it and it is cycling fine, I was even able to adjust it from 5 # pull down to 2 # pull. I just have never ran in to this and wanted to see if a gunsmith would weigh in and let me know if they have seen or heard this before.
Thanks

Another quick question, can you reload Winchester (the chrome looking) brass?

Yes you can. I've been using them for a long time now. Winchester Nickel plated for about ten years now and Federal Nickel plated for almost 30 years, and they last quite a bit. I neck size mostly and still have the same RCBS dies my dad used 35 years ago.

Do you anneal them?
I have used nickel plated off & on for years. It is useful in wildcats where headstamps might match other rifles in your (or your grandsons) arsenal. The color over brass is easily recognized.

I turn necks (plating on them goes by by).
I normally anneal every cycle. The cases anneal as any other but the heat "staining" on the shoulder and below it is not visible.
Cleaning dies often is recommeded because the nickel has a tendency to build up & will scratch the nickel on other cases as well as any brass cases used with that die. A quick polish with flitz or jb paste removes the nickel/brass buildup.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.