Remington Custom Shop

Rocket86

Hello Riflemen, I'd like your opinion; ACCURACY being paramount, what do you think about ordering a Remington Custom Shop in 7mm Rem Mag verses say, A fierce or Christenson? Was advised to put in this section. Thank you.

Ownership changes and layoff in the main manufacturing area might make Remington a risky investment. I would not do it unless you were able to confirm all your requests with a phone call and some recent customer reports. Your alternative rifles to Remington are both top drawer companies. For the price of those rifles you might consider a full custom.

I have a Rem custom 300wby from 20 years ago or so and it shoots very well. I'm sure a lot of changes since then so not sure how much value this info is

My understanding is, Remington is shut down. The new owners are waiting for their FFL to be approved. Unless it is expedited, that might take awhile. After the new license is issued it'll take awhile to get people re-hired/hired and the plant(s) up and running again. I'd opt for a semi-custom for the $$$ you propose spending.

In today's technology, you can now order pre-fit barrels to custom actions and build the rifle yourself. The stock manufacturers are pre-fit/drilled for specific custom actions and will pillar bed. All you would need is some time to put together, that is my next goal is build my next rifle myself. You can also send the action to the pre-fit barrel manufacturer and have them install for a small fee and not be concerned about purchasing a barrel vise and action wrench.

Rocket86,

Your question and Kmccord's post got me to do a quick search of barreled actions. If you went this route all you would need is a nice stock. There are bedding block stocks that generally don't require any bedding. I just acquired a M50 from Stocky's. While the fit is not what I would call full blown custom its bedding block and its interchangeable cheek piece made for a useful and accurate stock. The rifle's groups improved!

There are some nice laminates and fiberglass stocks like McMillan too but they usually require bedding.

Straight Jacket Armory offers several barreled actions including Remington. The Rem package includes a blueprinted action with quite a few options on the barrel profile and length in many chamberings.

Here is another:

=====================

There are a ton of custom rifle makers out there besides your original choices. Based on my experiences with them I am not fond of the Christensen arms rifles I worked with. The Fierce or Remington is a better choice

I can tell you of a few customs that are good because a few of my friends have them and I know what they are like. Proof Research is excellent, Cooper is another and a local guy Craig's Customs does a great job too. https://www.craigscustomrifles.com/

My friend, a new hunter, just got his third coues wt yesterday. He used a Craig Custom 7 Rem mag with 180 bergers and I saw the buck fold at 340 yds. My friend's shot last year was a bit over 600 yds with a one shot kill. That rifle is very accurate.

I suggest you look around there are many great custom builders.

I'd be hesitant to do business directly with Remington at the moment. I'd look into the fierce, maybe a seekins also if they meet your criteria. Fierce seems very nice with the .5moa guarantee, but with their cheapest models around $2,100 they aught to be. Looking at the remington custom shop, I'd go aftermarket/custom before I dropped $2,195 on a Remington. Especially with their current financial troubles.

Not trying to go on a tangent, but for the price of the barrel actions listed by AZShooter above me you are very close to getting a custom action with a prefit barrel and trigger.

$825 Origin Action
$330 Criterion Prefit
$30 barrel nut
$200 Trigger of your choice
-----------------------------------
$1,385 + stock

Truing up a remington 700 only makes sense to me at this point if you already have one. Starting from scratch custom offers more options and better resale. I don't usually buy with resale as a focus, but I can tell you that the two origins I have are way nicer than any 700 I've used, even ones that have been worked over.

I CANNOT recommend the Remington Custom Shop. About two years ago they offered to rebarrel a Mountain Titanium rifle. We spec'ed out the barrel; contour, length, twist, and fluting. I sent them the rifle with scope attached and asked that a proof target be shot and returned. Ten months later I get the gun back; missing the scope and no barrel fluting. After several phone calls they had me send the rifle back where they fluted the barrel and found my scope. When I received it there was no proof target. Their excuse was that they did not have any ammunition for a .270.
Now the real kicker: Although it shot "OK" brass was showing incipient case separation marks. My local gunsmith found that the bolt would close on a "no-go" gauge. They sent it out with excessive headspace! Ten months and $400 wasted using the Remington Custom Shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts