Remington Brass Report

Alfred Crouch

I just received 100 pieces of Remington Brass I had ordered from Cabelas.
I received 101 pieces with all of them looking very shinny, beautiful and in perfect condition ... no crushed necks etc as some have found. I measured length and weight of 25 pieces with the following results:

Length:

2.030 4
2.031 13
2.032 7
2.033 1

Weight:

161.2 1
161.3 2
161.4 1
161.5 1
161.7 3
161.9 1
162.0 2
162.2 1
162.3 3
162.4 4
162.5 1
162.6 2
162.9 1
163.7 1
164.1 1

I was amazed that the length was as consistent as it was. And, you could say the weight varied from 161 to 163 grains with only a couple stragglers. Not to shabby.

What caliber of brass were you sorting? I did my sorting of Remington Brass for .308 last year when I got small bag of 50, the weight variation was from 165.0 - 169.5 grains 4.5 gr, which I broke into 7 groups 4.5 gr spread is not the best I would say, but I use it after I annealed and turned it.

Mine is for a 260 caliber. I was well pleased with this batch. I don't think there is consistently good quality with any company. I think it varies with condition of manufacturing equipment (how well it is maintained and how precise it is set up) and who is operating the equipment at at the time of manufacture. Some companies sub it out to the cheapest manufacturer which means there would be company variations as well since this batch may have been manufactured by company X and the next batch by company Y..... I know the companies whoses name appears on the brass say they send specs with the orders but I don't think subing to different companies lends itself to quality consistency.

Last edited:
heck I love rem brass.and the only reason I have Lapua brass is because I used to have two 308's,and that I found some ounce fired for a good price.

heck I love rem brass.and the only reason I have Lapua brass is because I used to have two 308's,and that I found some ounce fired for a good price.

Great comedy......one of the funniest posts I have read here in a while !!!!!!!!
UB

JohnBoy, Many years ago I lived in Chesterfield for 2 years. Very varied soils, vegetative commuunities etc. in that county. Wife and I enjoyed out stay there. The locals used to say a rabbit would have to pack lunch to take with him if he expected to cross the country around patrick. It was dry sand and scrub oak. I assume the US Fish Hatcher located south of Cheraw is closed now. Best wishes. Al

Take the brass run it through a die and trim it to uniform length and rechamfer.

Weigh all 101 of them and throw away everything not within the 161.5 - 163 grain range. As you shoot through the brass throw away any piece that gives you a flier. I would expect out of 100 pieces of brass you will have less than 50 that are actually any good for long range work.

Next time buy Norma.

Alternative would be to to neck down Winchester and do a lot of prep on the Winchester or just buy Lapua and neck it down.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm glad to see fellow South Carolinians interested in long-range huting. I'm from the upstate near Spartanburg.

well I guess one cannot get to mad at high jacking a thread.we just don't need to do it all the time.

for me I too like to see or hear of some one that lives in the same state or close by my neck of the woods.

and Al did you know Doc Lisenby from Chesterfield?

and yeah I do love rem brass.I must be one of the lucky ones that orders it.for me I have never had any of the problems most reloaders have with it.heck in one of my 223's I have just necksized with a lee collet die I know 20 times or more.and still able to load it with a hot load.but stop useing it so that the other new cases wouldn't feel left out.LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.