Remington bolt lock

Varmint Hunter

I'm considering the purchase of a Remington LSS in 338 RUM and noticed that it has the infamous J lock or bolt lock on the rear cover. I remember something discussed regarding the J locks and bound firing pin springs. Is this something that really needs to be changed or is it something that most of you just live with?

I

VH, like you I had heard all the negative stuff about the J-lock on Remington rifles, and I had a Remington SenderoSF with the lock. I unlocked the action after I left the shop where I bought it new and never used it again and also never had a problem with it. This is the only rifle I have ever had with the lock so I don't have a broad base to draw from. I had the Sendero for about 8 or 10 years and forgot about the lock .

i have a Sendero 300RUM that came with the J-Lock. never had any issues with it but have heard of guys that have. i replaced it with the original style from Holland's gunsmithing and it is easy enough to swap out. Now i don't have to worry about something going wrong with it. PM me if you have any questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.