Remington bolt handle failure

mdrewel

I was shooting a 700 7mm rem mag today and the bolt handle came off. I shot the gun and went to lift the bolt handle up and it came off. It looks like part of the solder has been broke for a while (dull finish).Anybody ever hear this happen before? How hard is it to fix? Deer season is a week away looks like maybe not going to use this one.

I read of this happening on another BBS a couple years ago.
I would try to find a good gunsmith in your area or a Remington certified repair shop and beg them to remount the bolt before you start your hunt.
I would also give Remington Customer Service a call.

Good luck.

JD338

I had one do this several years back.

Find a good smith and get it fixed... but a week is a little short notice.

Mad Dog,

There are better ways to weld it on other than silver solder like the factory and repair centers use. I have fixed several of them that have popped loose for one reason or another. Hope you can get it done befor your hunt.

I might get the bolt fixed but it will be wednesday before I know if a yes or no. Can I put another 700 bolt out of another 7mm and finish up shooting?

mine came off last year when i had a warm load and i smacked up on the bolt with the palm of my hand.my smith fixed it when i took it in. the factory solder was **** poor.he said the trick to a good silver solder was to heat the handle to a light red color and wire brush to remove the silicon from the surface of the metal. this will make the joint very strong.

NO, you can't take another bolt and use it in your gun.it's a headspace thing.might work fine...might be dangerous.

if its possible have your smith heli-arch (TIG)the handel on that will be WAY stonger than any solder job. I would offer to do it for you but the chances of the bolt getting here and getting it back in under 10-12 days are slim to none.
If he cant have it welded correctly and has to resolder it then either have him screw it or have sombody else do it.
It should only take 20-30 min to weld it with to good passes , 1 neked fused root and one filler/cap a third realy woulden't be needed

How are you getting the silver solder off before you tig weld it? Are you trying to burn it off or grind it off. Any trace of it will blow your tig weld.

I use an abrasive pad on a little air die grinder and take it down to bare new steel. I start with an 80 grit then 120 thanfinish with a 240. Your correct any little bit of trash or extra solder you will find it fast.I'm working on a purge cabnit right now that way I can weld smaller titanium parts easier. Eventualy when I get into a decient shop I'm gonna try to make some Ti actions.
I also use a heat sink that threads into the end and cover the rest on the outside with heat controle past , at no point does the bolt head get to hot to hold in your hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.