Remington Bankruptcy

My worry is the Vista brand. They own too much of our industry. Never good to have so many eggs in one basket. Ruger still has family involved so there's some "heart & soul" in the company. I hate to see any industry get too big because they seem to fall to greed and mismanagement. Money is still the root of all evil.

misquoted- Scripture actually says "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil." đź‘Ť

Quick search related to Barnes bullets shows encouraging news for them. (They were bought by Remington in 2010)

his comes from a search for "Barnes Bullets Owner" and sifting through the results for the most current posting date.

Hopefully this also means more innovation and production for these companies. Seems like a good combination to me! Sierra and Barnes!

Far too many old companies have old people making all the decisions. Relax old guys, I'm old too. However times have changed so quickly and moved at light speed changing every day. Think smart phones, apps, and bitcoin. Things that were considered impossible technologies twenty years ago. I experience this problem in many businesses today that struggle to keep up. Think Kodak cameras refusing to go digital and stay with 35mm film.......How did that work out?
These older businesses need to have executive level placements of the 40 and younger generations. Us old guys just cant keep up with the light speed of technology, marketing, social media, and the like. Any business that is ran exclusively with "grey haired" people, with no opinion from the generations that are savvy on the new tech, will fail. It's only a matter of time.
As an example I do business with one company, which is ran exclusively by old guys, that is still trying to hire employees in the 18-30 year old range, by running employment ads in the newspaper...................... :(

Far too many old companies have old people making all the decisions. Relax old guys, I'm old too. However times have changed so quickly and moved at light speed changing every day. Think smart phones, apps, and bitcoin. Things that were considered impossible technologies twenty years ago. I experience this problem in many businesses today that struggle to keep up. Think Kodak cameras refusing to go digital and stay with 35mm film.......How did that work out?
These older businesses need to have executive level placements of the 40 and younger generations. Us old guys just cant keep up with the light speed of technology, marketing, social media, and the like. Any business that is ran exclusively with "grey haired" people, with no opinion from the generations that are savvy on the new tech, will fail. It's only a matter of time.
As an example I do business with one company, which is ran exclusively by old guys, that is still trying to hire employees in the 18-30 year old range, by running employment ads in the newspaper...................... :(
Interesting perspective but that had absolutely nothing to do with Remington going Bankrupt. In fact, a whole bunch of those bright 30-40 year olds is what actually sewered the company.

I will also tell you from experience consulting that a lot of traditional businesses are served far better with old fashioned values and ethics than they are with the exuberance of 30 year olds. There is a big difference in the skills that work in the knowledge economy and those that work in more traditional businesses. Yes all business has to adapt and grow, but youth is not a guarantee of superior leadership, often it produuces worse leaders. Truly talented leaders are a fairly rare commodity. Steve Jobs at 20 wan't great because he was 20, he was great because he was Steve Jobs, and he was still great when he got to be 50.

I have to speak up for older folks in management. If there aren't a few gray heads around the table in industries other than marketing, and other "soft" segments, you're going to have problems. They lose focus on quality. Too many (certainly not all) young executives focus on flash and lifestyle.
Look at where the companies featured in the book "Good to Great" are now; they lost their senior management and pretty quickly lost dominance. And flashy products that fail to perform their primary function.

If you look at Toyota, who was at the forefront of the Quality movement (actually conceived by W. Edwards Deming, an American engineer, who went to U.S. car companies first, but they wouldn't listen) the reviewers of their vehicles (millennials mostly) continually complain about the lack of high-tech gizmos, but their engines and transmissions sure last. They value senior management while certainly making use of young talent.

Older doesn't necessarily mean wiser, but it often does if you pay attention. And to recorrect the correction it's "the love of money is the root of all KINDS of evil' is a more accurate translation. If you read the Old Testament or look at the divorce statistics, lust plays its fair share too. Thus endeth the dissertation. ;) Pray for our President!

Last edited:
When/if Remington emerges, they should develop a high end rifle and go compete with it, advertise it and get into a market that people will notice. There are a lot of barrel makers, action makers and stock makers that have bracketed what it means to compete or capable to hunt long range. These smaller companies responded to what the competitors and the hunters wanted. Ironically, based on the 700 action.
Call it a Phoenix of sorts, or maybe an "800" action with premium barrels, Remington needs to stand out. Prove it. Compete with it.
I'm a "big green" fan and worried they cannot find a path out of the valley. Staying the same without this high quality segment makes them, "just another gun on the rack".

I'm as big of a Remington fan as any. That's what I grew up with. Remington 700s and 870s. I love them and they're my favorite. I have seen ups and downs from them and I am crossing my fingers that they get their stuff together this go around and make a huge comeback. They need to focus on making quality guns, with good fit and finish, good barrels, and continue making their actions as good as the last ones were. They also need to completely redo the 700 trigger and either go with an production version of an aftermarket trigger or just develop something from the ground up. They definitely need to offer new cartridges and keep up with the times. They can do it with the right management and I hope they get it this go around.

Poor Marlin.
People still lust after original JM marked 1895 model rifles, instead of the newer "Remlin"s with multiple QC problems.

It is becasue too many people read the internet instead of looking at the guns. The ones made the last 5 to 8 years are better than the JM guns made the last 5 years Marlin was building them and very nearly as good fit and finish wise as the JMs from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. I have owned a number of both so it isn't just opinion. I still own two 80s era JMs and one 2015 Guide gun.

Last edited:
Great question! However some company will beyond doubt buy the action division and soon is my thought! No way they will disappear....still a cornerstone to the custom industry....hell I think I'm going to look into it!
Hope this is true about the Roundhill folks who bought the Remington Firearms division...

Roundhill Group LLC partner and spokesman, Jeff Edwards addresses these issues:
"As is known, Roundhill Group LLC and a group of experienced firearms manufacturing and hunting industry professionals is in the process of purchasing Remington Firearms. Our intent with this acquisition is to return the company to its traditional place as an iconic American hunting brand. We intend to maintain, care for and nurture the brand and all of the dedicated employees who have crafted these products over the years for outdoors men and women both here in the USA and abroad. More than anything we want to make Remington a household name that is spoken with pride."

The Roundhill Group is comprised of a group of individuals all of whom have years of experience in engineering, manufacturing and marketing both in and outside of the firearms space. They are all life-long hunting advocates and staunch Remington brand loyalists. They will work tirelessly to ensure that this company takes its rightful place as the iconic American brand that it was and still is."

Interesting perspective but that had absolutely nothing to do with Remington going Bankrupt. In fact, a whole bunch of those bright 30-40 year olds is what actually sewered the company.

I will also tell you from experience consulting that a lot of traditional businesses are served far better with old fashioned values and ethics than they are with the exuberance of 30 year olds. There is a big difference in the skills that work in the knowledge economy and those that work in more traditional businesses. Yes all business has to adapt and grow, but youth is not a guarantee of superior leadership, often it produuces worse leaders. Truly talented leaders are a fairly rare commodity. Steve Jobs at 20 wan't great because he was 20, he was great because he was Steve Jobs, and he was still great when he got to be 50.
Good points. What actually sewered Remington then?

Good points. What actually sewered Remington then?
Read the article I attached. It gives the whole story but short form is a bunch of thirty something smart guy finance guys loaded it with so much debt it couldn't carry the load no matter how profitable they were.

I might be misinformed but I heard Remington sold out to palmetto state is there any thirty behind this or was I given false info