Remington and local dealers

Human nature seems to be one sour interaction with a manufacturer is enough to swear off any future business with that manufacturer.

I had a Rem 870 12ga 3" magnum shotgun that wouldn't eject Remington Peters 3" Magnum shot shells. The mouth of the fired shells was too long to clear the ejection port. After showing my gun to the local gunsmith, I sent it off to Remington.

They told me to pound nails. Said they didn't make those shells and to find some other shells to shoot through the shotgun. Told them the shells were Remington Peters. Didn't matter. There was no easy fix for my shotgun. The ejector would have needed to have been set back in the receiver in order for the empty hulls to clear the ejection port. Too much time and money lost for Remington to take care of their problem.

I sold that 870 and moved on. Only Remingtons I've ever considered purchasing after that single experience were used guns - that had been blueprinted by a gunsmith. I did buy one used Versa Max. Which seems like a nice shotgun. I will never directly put money into the Remington coffers for the rest of my life, by purchasing a new firearm that's made/sold by Remington.

So goes human nature. I still complain about my single experience with Remington's customer service department...

When I bought my turkey gun (a Mossberg 835) I also looked at a 10 gauge SPS seriously. Just like the shotgun, but the Mossberg was more to my needs at the time. I was extremely foolish! Could have walked out the with the SPS for $600 (it was as new just like the 835). Went back there a few days later to buy that 10 gauge, and it was gone! Been crying ever since. Last one I seen was over a grand!
gary

I believe its that Remington is just following what many of the gun manufacturers are doing. Ask your local small shop about Colt, Berreta, Browning, Benelli. It dont think it has anything to do with their situation. This is really nothing new. Everything is really geared to favor the big box stores over the smaller shops. My father owns a small gun shop, glad the OP is going to the small guys!

My first gun shop I went to was big, but also locally owned. Always felt like a number in there. Next place was literally twenty foot square, and was treated very well in his little shop. Just kept coming back. He retired due to health issues. Next one was bigger, but still smaller than most. Bought lots of fishing gear off him as well. Always treated me very well, but! Business got bigger and bigger till I felt like a number again. Still this took twelve years or more. Funny thing was the old guy who started the business and I remained very close till his death a couple years ago. His staff sucked and I told him. Been to several others, and the only thing they're interested in is machine guns. I've done that, and have out grown that. Then we get into reloading. Nobody seems to know what they are selling anymore, but they know the profit margin!
gary

Yep, it really does boil down to the big buck$, big business, and it don't matter if its Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, a cabin in the woods or a big house on Grand Blvd. $$$$$$$

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.