Remington action question

Lucas

So here's the deal. I found a remington 700 for sale for $400, possibly $350 if i can work em over good. It's a 300 win mag and looks to be in good condition but i don't really know the history of it. The question i have are all rem 700 actions created equal, or are some years better then others. If i get it my plans are to get it blueprinted, the trigger worked and re-barreled to start off with. Would this be a good jumping off platform to get started or should i just find a action somewhere else? Thanks

Throw it out and buy a Savage!:D In all seriousness, anything made back then is better than now. The bigger issue that seems to be a problem with Remmy's is the base mounting screw holes. They're QC has been lacking. But there are good smith's on this sight that could help you out. Sounds like a good direction to go. A better option may be look for a used action and build off of that.

Tank

That seems like a decent price. But is it stainless or blue. I have seen actions sell for more then what u can buy a new rifle for. One thing you might want to consider is. Price of used action. Blue printing around $300 depending on smith. Plus trigger work. You might want to consider a aftermarket. One

So here's the deal. I found a remington 700 for sale for $400, possibly $350 if i can work em over good. It's a 300 win mag and looks to be in good condition but i don't really know the history of it. The question i have are all rem 700 actions created equal, or are some years better then others. If i get it my plans are to get it blueprinted, the trigger worked and re-barreled to start off with. Would this be a good jumping off platform to get started or should i just find a action somewhere else? Thanks

I build on a lot of Remington actions and they are all good actions and $350.00 or less is
a good price for a donor action.

As to the Blue printing= I will not build on "ANY" action unless is at least checked for trueness
and blue printed if needed.

I have found very few actions that did not need something trued (Including the Custom
actions) .

Because all actions are mass produced there can all ways be issues with tolerances that
can be resolved if checked.

One of the main attractions of the remington is after market parts availability that allows
a person to modify them to there own personal likes. and being the most popular rifle
sold they are plentiful .

Quality Varies from year to year on all factory rifles and they should all be blue printed
no matter who made them and when, if you want the most accuracy from your rifle.

I am not against the use of any action if it is done right.

I would not hesitate to build on the action you are talking about unless it is damaged
because with the proper gunsmithing it can be made to out shoot most shooters (Including
My self).

I hope this helped.

J E CUSTOM

$400 is a pretty fair price for a Remington action. To have it blueprinted (highly recommended) will run about $150, add a good recoil lug for about $40 and you can start with that. You can always replace the trigger later if need be and replace the fire control if the spring is all kinky.

Action $400
Blueprint $150
Recoil Lug $40

TOTAL $590 plus the cost of barrel and install.

Custom actions are very nice but you'll have to add at least another $300 plus the cost of trigger ($125-$250) and bottom metal ($150 - $500). I'd go with the Remington. What are you going to build?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.