Remington 870

Probably the ones with the sticky chambers that gave him trouble. There were a few years that the chambers were so rough you had to almost mortar them to get the action open. 5 minutes with steel wool on a brush attached to a drill took care of this for me.

I have many of them. Love restoring the old wing masters and building bear/home protection guns off the wing masters and police models. I'm not a huge fan of the express model but you would be hard pressed to find a smother operating, better functioning, easy to work with pump gun. I just have trouble parting with them. Built/restored one for each of my girls for when they get older. The Remington 700 platform of the shotgun world with an accessory following that can't be rivaled.

I have one shotgun. An 870 absolute express 12ga. I bought it in probably 2007. I took the cheap wood stock off and replaced it with synthetic. I lived for waterfowl hunting for about 5 years and dang did I put a bunch of shells through that thing during those years. Mud, ice, rain, snow nothing stops it. These days I still take it out for quail once in awhile but it still goes bang every time.

I have two .One I bought over 40 year ago Hunted birds shot trap and drilled and tapped for a scope Have gotten a lot of deer with it The second one in a mag that shoots 3 1/2 inch shells Taken geese and ducks with it .Never had any problems either one The only guns I have seen any problems are the one's people taking them apart to clean and not putting them together right

I have 2 also. A Wingmaster I bought as a kid in the mid-60's and a special purpose in either stainless or coated somehow to be silver with a short barrel for bear protection while camping in grizzly country.

870 wingmaster 3' manufacturer in 1980 was first gun I ever bought on my 18th birthday at a pawn shop for $175 in 2001. I put thousands of rounds down that 30 inch full barrel ever had a single issue to speak of. I thing I guess the safty would freeze up on me in the freezing weather in the duck blind but a little wd40 and I carried a Bic lighter and fit it. Other than that it is still my go to favorite shot gun.

I live just outside the Sacramento Valley which is a major fly way and home to countless duck clubs, having worked on and repaired firearms for over 40 years nobody ever brought in a 870 because it malfunctioned or something broke, don't think I can say that about any other shotgun.

I currently own three 870 Wingmasters.

I had 4 at one time. I sold that 4th one. It was a 12ga Magnum model purchased in the early 1970s. The magazine spring weakened over time, and with heavy 3" lead magnum shells, the shells wouldn't reliably be shoved back onto the follower. So after shooting a first shell in the chamber, I'd end up dry firing on an empty chamber for my second shot. Rack the action again and it would feed from the mag again and fire again aftrer that 3rd effort.

I solved that problem with a new magazine spring.

Next problem I experienced was 3" Remington Peter's shells wouldn't clear the ejection port. The mouth of the fired, opened cases were too long to clear the front of the ejection port.

I sent the shotgun to Remington. Told them the issue I was having. Fired Remington Peters 3" Mag shells wouldn't clear the ejection port on their 12ga 870 Wingmaster Magnum model shotgun.

They said their experienced gunsmith inspected the shotgun and found nothing wrong. I sold that 870. Then 20 years later, Remington was bankrupt.

Haven't had any problems with my other three 870s. Two are 20ga Lightweight models. The 3rd is another 12ga Magnum model. But after the problems I had with the one 870 I sold, I researched 870s and bought new mag springs for the others. I also upgraded some other parts on all 3, to help ensure reliability for home defense and bear defense uses.

Last edited: