Remington 7mm-08

magicofmt

I have a 7mm-08 and am wondering what the long range capabilities would be for this rifle with a decent scope. The rifle is all factory but I would be using hand loads.
Thanks for your help.

Well. . . since nobody is giving you anything to work with I can TRY to give you some insight.

I have heard it said somewhere around here that you need about 800 foot pounds of energy to effectively kill a deer sized animal. So that means put in your information to a drop chart that also shows the energy at given ranges along with the drop, etc... This will tell you about the maximum range for deer hunting with a 7mm-08. You may just be suprised at how far it will actually work and it may just be a little farthur than you can accurately shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That's about all I can tell you as I have never shot a 7mm-08. Although a 7mm rem mag works wonders on deer to 1000 yards and has the potential for longer. The bullets for this class of rifle will suit you just fine.

If I had to take a wild stab in the dark at a maximum range of a 7mm-08 I guess 800 yards max. Because they use .308 rifles to kill people at 1000 and all a 7mm-08 is is a .308 with a little more velocity.

GOOD LUCK and I hope this helps.

With the list max velocity of 2862fps in the Nosler #5 book for the 150gr Ballistic tip I would bet on an accurate velocity of around 2700fps. The 150gr NBT has a list BC of .493 which is pretty high and being launched at 2700 fps I would say that ballisticaly comes realy close to the 308 shooting a 175gr Sierra Match King at 2700fps wich would be a pretty warm load in a factory gun.
Now the 175gr SMK is good to 1000yds easly , the 150gr Ballistic tip launched at 2700fps should have around 900lbs of energy ar 600yds.
I'm not one to play into the whole amout of energy at such range is what you have to have to cleanly kill that critter. If I stick my 45ACP in the ribs of a deer at point blank range and shoot him hes gonna be deader than hell and it only has a muzzel energy of about 500lbs max so thats my logic on that subject. I believ that its alot more important to put the bullet where it belongs .
So realy i feel that your accuracy may be the limiting factor for your range , personaly I think that 1 moa should be the limit for long range hunting out to say 600yds then past that I'd say 3/4 max. so if you can shoot 6" groups at 600yds then the 7-08 should be good to that range but if you can't shoot 6" groups at 300yds I'd make that your max. But if you can shoot 6" groups at 1000yds I'd say that you may be able to kill at that range ,I woulden't as the energy may have dropped of to the point that the bullet would fail to open.

162gr SST/Amax over Varget/H4350. If you can get them to shoot sub MOA, then your max range will be this side of 800yds. That is probably a whole bunch further then you would wish to shoot.

Now that accuracy is under field conditions, not a comfy bench rest and still conditions. As the conditions or rests get worse, reduce your range dramatically.

Only practise will tell you what you can realistically do. More importantly then the most expensive scope is a good range finder. Without the ability to range reliably, you are sunk.
Jerry

I Have a REM 700 7mm-08 CDL I have shot Coyotes at 400 yards. I am Looking for a Remington 700 VLS HB 7mm-08 What kind is your 7mm -08. I hope you enjoy shooting the 7mm=08 as will as I do. TERRY GOD BLESS

I have the same gun you do. Fun to shoot but haven't tried any long range shooting or reloading. I'm going to start working with it as soon as my 300 win mag is dialed in.
Thanks for your reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.