Remington 788 bolt face question ...

FEENIX

My friend received a Remington 788 in .243 from another friend before he passed. He has not shot it yet and he said it chambers/cycles OK with factory ammo. I told him what I think but I figure I'll ask those that actually have real world experience with it or own a similar rifle. Is this normal?

CjJGEMw.jpg

P1IvzcX.jpg

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Ed

My friend received a Remington 788 in .243 from another friend before he passed. He has not shot it yet and he said it chambers/cycles OK with factory ammo. I told him what I think but I figure I'll ask those that actually have real world experience with it or own a similar rifle. Is this normal?

CjJGEMw.jpg

P1IvzcX.jpg

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Ed

From what I can see, it looks fine. it has had a few rounds through it
but a good metal brush should remove the primer marks. In fact the entire bolt face needs to be cleaned.

The 788 actions are great to build on and his will handle the 243. 260, 7/08 and the 308. the 788 is also great for the AIs because of the single stack mag (They feed well).

If he decides to re barrel that is the time to re face the bolt face square.

J E CUSTOM

From what I can see, it looks fine. it has had a few rounds through it
but a good metal brush should remove the primer marks. In fact the entire bolt face needs to be cleaned.

The 788 actions are great to build on and his will handle the 243. 260, 7/08 and the 308. the 788 is also great for the AIs because of the single stack mag (They feed well).

If he decides to re barrel that is the time to re face the bolt face square.

J E CUSTOM

Jerry,

Awesome! I was hoping that was the case, I will definitely pass the good news to him. Thanks!

V/R
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.