Remington 700BDL 30-06

reedcb

Hello, I came upon this site and it looks promising in terms of knowledge, expertise, user friendliness, and variety of topics. Glad to be here. I have recently resurrected a Remington 700BDL 30-06 I have owned since the Vietnam era (late 60's). I have a Weaver K-4 with a tipoff mount on it. It was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I purchased it in '67 at age 15 prior to joining USMC. Since then the science of ballistics (including optics) has improved considerably, to say the least. I am going to get back into shooting (target) with a good friend of mine and had a couple of questions for starters if anyone here would care to provide answer(s). They are as follows:

1. What would be a reasonable distance to strive for with this rifle? For example, would it be practical or possible to shoot at distances in excess of 800 yds with certain bullet/scope configurations?
  2. What type of scope would be recommended, ie: med-high grade, cost, etc.
  3. What bullet/powder/primer configuration would be best for the longest distances?
  4. What processes, ie: bedding, would be recommended to add stability?
  5. Any additional items, ie: bipod, sandbags, spotter scope model, would be advantageous?
Sorry if I seem like such a neophyte. It has been awhile but I am excited (and a quick learner) plus it will all come back to me shortly and with everyone's help. Thanx in advance to anyone who contributes. I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who has input. REED

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts