Remington 700

Screenshot_20200214-121156_Chrome.jpg

What is the take on this rifle?

The rifle you're looking at my buddy bought the same one for $397 at Walmart in 7mm Rem Mag. I put a Boyd's stock on it and pillar bedded. Also had to replace the plastic trigger guard for an aluminum one. That rifle shot MOA groups at 100 yards with factory Federal ammo from Walmart. I have yet to do load development on it, but I suspect it will shoot under 3/4 MOA with a tuned handload. My Dads factory 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag shoots 1/2 MOA with his handloads. I love these rifles and they're hard to beat for the money. They're an excellent platform to build on and work with.

As for scopes, check out Sightron STACs. They're around $380-450 and are excellent scopes for the money.

So if it was me and I was just starting out I wouldn't get to wrapped up in getting fancy.

I'm helping a friend of mine with this same thing right now. He's getting a rem 700 sps in .308 topped with a Leupold rifleman 3-9x40 scope set in Talley rings. It's nice and simple. It's an elk killer out to 300-400 yards without a problem and it wasn't expensive. $442 for the rifle from Buds Gunshop, $214 for the scope from Midway USA, and $47 for Talley rings. Grand total $703. It's a setup that will last him a lifetime of killing elk and deer.

I think sometimes we get wrapped up in some of our more advanced gear designed to kill elk at 1000 yards that when a new hunter or shooter shows up we head way to far down the rabbit hole.

Standard 700 adl in 7mm or 300wm will do fine with a bdc type scope. Glass in a bdc style can be nice and for anything inside 500 yards, you don't need to be dialing and spending a bunch of money on a scope.

So if it was me and I was just starting out I wouldn't get to wrapped up in getting fancy.

I'm helping a friend of mine with this same thing right now. He's getting a rem 700 sps in .308 topped with a Leupold rifleman 3-9x40 scope set in Talley rings. It's nice and simple. It's an elk killer out to 300-400 yards without a problem and it wasn't expensive. $442 for the rifle from Buds Gunshop, $214 for the scope from Midway USA, and $47 for Talley rings. Grand total $703. It's a setup that will last him a lifetime of killing elk and deer.

I think sometimes we get wrapped up in some of our more advanced gear designed to kill elk at 1000 yards that when a new hunter or shooter shows up we head way to far down the rabbit hole.

Well said Elleater well said.

Do you reload? Plan to reload? There are endless calibres out there that fit your needs. I think if I was to build a budget rifle to fulfill the requirements you're after, I'd look at a Savage 10/110/12 series with a fixed 10x optic to help keep costs down. I'd look to either a .260 Remington or 7mm-08 or 308
Win in a standard short action. Standard long action look at a 280AI or for ease of find/overall capabilities the old 30-06 is hard to beat. If magnums are your cup of gin then the 7mm Rem Mag or the 300 Win Mag certainly have earned their followings.

Jmw67 are you saying one has to spend over a 1000 to have accurate elevation and wind adjustments
Guess I've been missing out :) I've been shooting to 1400+ yards with viper hst 6-24s for a while now. You can find them used on the site here for $450 all the time. Calcs are an estimate. Dope is what counts

Thank you all for the advice and info. It's all been a lot of help. I think I'm going to go with the .308. I still have the 7mm-08 in mind for sure.
A 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be a fine choice for 300 yds or less. You'll get to practise shooting a lot without beating yourself up. Over here in Eastern Oregon a buddy has killed more elk with his 308 Win and a 165gr Partition than any of his other rifles. My current personal hunting rifle is a 30-06 with a Leupold 2.8-8x32mm. It has a Premier Reticle mildot in it and I've shot out to 800 yards by just using the reticle. But I've yet to shoot over 125 yds on big game with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.