Remington 700

My age will show in the post. For a TRUE do anything in North America caliber (IMHO) nothing beats the venerable, buy bullets at any place with a bunch of different weights and has done everything around the world, 30-06.
Every rifle manufacturer builds one and you will have a caliber that has been through every possible situation in the hunting world.
I know, I know. The latest wiz bang 6.5 yazzah faffool is flatter shooting and will kill blue whales at five miles with any bullet you shoot. Why buy a sub caliber, less than proven cartridge when you can buy an indisputable, known caliber?
Just saying.

7mag is a great choice.If you don't reload,ammo is cheap and available in many bullet weights and styles.Another favorite is the 30-06 for the same reasons as above.Recoil is about the same on both.With elk on the ticket,I lean towards larger rifles.Any of the 300 magnums are great too,but some people complain about the recoil.I personally don't find it to be too bad,but I'm used to it. A good pad on a rifle makes a big difference.

7mm stw...... end of game. It has been around a long time and its a hammer. If you are like many of us you will want more than 308, 7-08 ....... performance after you get into shooting more often ( what ever you get you have to practice with) Factory ammo is available and there be no regrets regarding performance as long as you use a muzzle brake. Good used ones are plentiful.

Budget rifles have come a LONG way. With that budget I would seriously consider something like the Ruger American or Mossberg Patriot. If you can stretch your budget a little bit then you could also check out the Tikka T3x or you may be able to find a used one in the $500 range. As for caliber I would go with something like a 270 or the 280AI and possibly look at the 6.5CM
Howa less than 500.00 in 7mm will work fine reciever is a Remington 700 plat form

Look at Winchester, Rugar and Savage, then try looking at your local Gun-shop, Hock Shop for Good, but used Scopes! Glass and Fire Arms are Both found for Fair Prices at the Local Hockshop, Sometimes!

Good Luck!

In keeping it simple and affordable:
I bought a T/C Compass in 7mm-08 , not for the looks (ugly gun so says my gunsmith), but for the 5R rifling. Out of the box, cold bore it shoots 1/4" groups with Winchester 140 grain Silver Tips. (It also shoots 110 grain HP Speers reloads at 1/4".)

The trigger pull sucked, so I changed out the 3 trigger springs from M*Carbo...sweet 2.5 pull now.

My top 2 scopes are Athlon, both are on both my two 5R rifled guns...22-250/7mm-08. Both guns are shooting 1/4" groups with the Winchester Silver Tips. I do reload, but had I discovered the combination of 5R rifling and Silver Tip ammo, I would have never started to reload.

The combination of Athlon scopes, 5R rifling, and Winchester Silver Tips makes me the most accurate, deadliest shooter/hunter that I have ever been at 68 yrs.

Oh I might mention, all my guns are tipped with a APA bastard muzzle brake...they keep me feeling like the young shooter I once was (recoil speaking)!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts