Remington 700 with left hand threads on brake

charles bonner

Had a customer bring me a Remington 700 .300 mag that he had attempted to remove the brake.he managed to get the barrel loose but could not get the brake loose.I had never seen a 700 with left hand threads before this ;but that is what this one had. It was a factory radial brake . He was wanting to put on a silencer so I cut off and recut the threads to right hand. My question is are there many Remingtons out there with left hand threads?

Thanks. This is the first time I have seen one. Real problem if you want to change brakes or install other muzzle devices . Now I know to watch for this

Never heard of it- and bet I'd have ended up chopping the barrel behind the threads before I'd even considered there could be left-handed threads. Only time I've ever seen LH is on some Euro/Rus like the AK slant brake- and they're metric.

No one manufactures a LH threaded brake- why in the world would Remington have done this, makes zero sense.

Absolutely! I only found it when I made a relief cut and the tool started to loosen the brake . Didn't break the tool because I had made one cut and had space for the break to move. I have no idea why Remington would do this unless it was so the twist would tighten the brake.

They do exist, I took one off a stainless factory 700 for a client. I cut off the tenon and recrowned the barreI still have the left hand radial brake in the top of my tool box. I think back then when suppressors were illegal that was Remington attempt to negate liability. Hard to find left hand threaded devices. My client wanted to take it off because he hunted without hearing protection and it was too loud.

Last edited:
No one manufactures a LH threaded brake- why in the world would Remington have done this, makes zero sense.

All the AK-47 brakes are Left Hand. You never want to have R/H and L/H threads on the same barrel. As you tighten one, it loosens the other. Same thing with Suppressor thread adapters trying to go from L/H to R/H or vise versa. The issue usually comes up with guys trying to install 5/8-24 R/H 30 caliber suppressors on AK-47's that have M14x1.0L/H barrels.

TROS USA can make you a thread protector or adapter in any thread configuration that you want.

Tony Rumore
Tromix