Remington 700 VTR .308 Win.

lightbulb If you have the VTR or the SPS, don't try to free-float the barrel. The stock isn't strong or stable enough to support itself. I tried free-floating mine, and now the entire left side of the barrel is contacting the stock. There must have been a heck of a lot of pressure on the original contact point at the end of the stock!!!

Oh well... I guess I needed an excuse to get a good stock anyway (as long as it's OD).:D

Like I said before, I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. BUT I also ordered a new VTR stock. This new stock is not free-floating either, but evidently the pressure on this new VTR stock is not the same as the one I tried to free-float. With the new stock on, the VTR groups about 1.010" 3-shot group @ 100 yds, it was windy, but wind shouldn't affect the group that much. The cold bore/fouling shot was in the middle of the group though. I'll wait to get the Bell and Carlson stock before I retune my load lol.

Different Stock = Different Group!!!

I have one in 308 and I love it. When I first got it I shot some groups under an inch, but it would string shots erratically because of the cheapo stock on it. I bought a bell and carlson light tactical in the olive drab with black webbing and it is Wayyyyyyyyyyyy better. I can shoot groups into one ragged hole with it now with FGMM @ 100yds. I also adjusted the trigger a bit.

Hi Bow,

I noticed on your web page you updated your accuracy testing. Why do think you got tighter groupings earlier? I finally was able to break mine in. Fun rifle. I was able to get one inch groups at 100 yards leaning on the truck:rolleyes:, with cheapo 180grn federal loads, vari x-II scope. Not exactly scientific, but I'm impressed. Can't wait to try it on some live targets.

jz

I believe it was the extreme pressure point on the other stock, that I dremeled, afffecting the barrel harmonics (for the better of course). But one of the only groups I shot with the 168gr SMKs measure .3s (with the new McMillan), so I'm fiddling with that load, an going to see what I can do.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Just got my second VTR in .308 Win. I have a 22-250, wearing a Leupold 4.5-14 w/30mm tube Varmit reticle, 30mm tube Talley rings/bases. Found 50gr bullets perform the best. The 308 is going to be wearing a Zeiss 6.5-20, 1" tube, Conquest. Leupold MK4 steel rings and a Trijicon Steel base w/20 MOA offset. Haven't seasoned the barrel yet. Running standard 308 ammo, then stepping up Remington Match w/168gr, HPBT. Not to sure what to except, but hoping for sob-MOA.
The 22-250 does maintain a tight group out to 200 yards. Found a range longer then 200, so I will be able to really see how well is holds.

gun)
Alaska Long Gun
Breath, squeeze, hit..One shot

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.