Remington 700 VLS

winmagman

I'm considering one of these in 6mm rem. (instead of a .243). Could anyone give me a review of this rifle? I'll probably just leave it factory. But would like to hear the pros & cons of this model.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Winmagman,if you are serious about buying a VLS email me i have one for sell in mint condition with brass, dies.

Chris, I've got a 6mmRem in the BDL varmint configuration, the only diff is the VLS has a Laminated stock and a 26 instead of 24" barrel, same heavy Remington trigger, (Which I can send you instructions on how to adjust it to a more acceptable weight), very accurate rifle with 75gr. Sierras or any Sierra bullet for that matter, have shot as low as .217" for 5 shots with my rifle sporting a Jewell trigger and HS stock, If you want a 6mm, this is the rifle to get, Jay

[ 09-29-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

I have two Remington 700's in the VLS. One is in 308 win. and the other is 223 rem. Both guns shoot really well for me if I do my homework at the reloading bench. The only thing I did so far is to lighten up the trigger pull. I guess Remington does not want anybody shooting themselves with a light trigger pull. I do struggle sometimes with the amount of free bore. I can't seem to make the over all length long enough. I guess Remington does not want anybody blowing themselves up. I did go through several guns at the shop before settling down on the gun I wanted. It seemed that the stocks had some inperfections that only I could see. Quality assurance must have been out to lunch and let a few get by. Besides that I do love my Remingtons. I use Hornady A-max bullets in both. Most bullets work well if I do my part. I hope I was some help to you.

Good Luck.

Same goes for me. I've got a Rem 700 VLS in 22-250. Really like it except for the trigger, had my smith work on it and it was set at 8.5 lbs!!! So, plan on adjusting your trigger up front. As far as accuracy, looks and functioning, no problems so far. I've had mine since about January and am still experimenting.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty sure I've settled on a Savage 12 bvss in .243 instead. (I can live without the extra 150-200 fps) I prefer the brown laminated & stainless look over the brown lam.& blued. Plus the Savage has the AccuTrigger, which I hear good things about, so there should be no need for trigger work/replacement. Also I already have a 112 bvss in 300 WM and it's plenty accurate so I guess I'll stick with the Savage.
Thanks again
Chris

Chris, As far as the trigger goes on a Rem. I've got mine adjusted to 19-20oz. very easy to adjust, and they're safe, Just my opinion, but I can't stand Savages, I think you'd be happier with the 6mmRem. but thats just me,
wink.gif
Jay

Wingman sorry for the confusion......

STW...If you still want to sell your VLS I might be interested depending on price.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.