Remington 700 Trigger Help

mooretitan

I really need your guys help. I have worked on 5 of my 700 triggers and have had no problems getting set right.
Since this is my slow time of the year i decided to finish lightening my last 700 a 35 Whelen. I got the trigger set where i wanted it and applied a small amount of nail polish to remind myself that i worked on it.
Now here is the problem. When I cycle the bolt everything is smooth, when I pull the trigger the bolt becomes very sticky and hard to cycle. Once it is lifted its easy to cycle again until the trigger is pulled again. I am not a pro but like to try and learn things on my own. So if anyone can help it would be great.
I have a 30-06 700 bolt and i cycled it through the whelen if no problems. I cycled the whelen bolt in the 06 and ran into the same sticky bolt problem when the trigger is pulled.

Once we have this problem solved I have one more
In trying to figure what was going on I took out the trigger pull screw and the one above it. I believe its the engagement one. When I went to put them back in the trigger pull went in fine. The engagement one would only screw back in half way.

Sorry for screwing up. If someone could help I would be very thankful.

IMHO if you don't even know what the screws you're messing with are for you're an accident waiting to happen and should take them all to a reputable smith before one goes bang when it shouldn't!

When you pull the trigger and the rifle fires, the weapon is "re-cocked" as the handle is lifted - so it will be quite noticeably harder to lift when the firing pin has been released... If you cycle the bolt, but don't pull the trigger and release the firing pin, the firing pin stays cocked, making the bolt easy to cycle.

Which trigger do you have? An old traditional 700 trigger? One of the first X marks? Newer X-mark pro with adjustment screw on top of trigger shoe? I've noticed that many of the newer triggers I've came across are difficult to rework into a crisp, 2.5 - 3 lb. trigger... Much of the time I can only get these down to about 3.5 lbs. and remain safe... However the older versions of the 700 trigger can be quite easily tuned into a 2 - 2.5 lb. surprisingly crisp trigger.

All that being said - if you don't 100% understand what each adjustment does, or don't 100% understand the parts and function of the trigger, you should take it to a gunsmith, or purchase and aftermarket unit.

Jewells are excellent, but also very pricey... in my shop I stock Timney 510 and 517 (flat trigger) units, which are easily user-adjustable from 1.5 - 4 lbs. and are crisp enough for me to have won 3 of the 5 local F-class events last year with a 517.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts