Remington 700 Ti Question

rem243

Hi all,

I recently acquired a standard bolt face short action gen 1 700 Ti, and after deciding on caliber (270WSM) Im faced with having to open up the bolt face to accommodate that round, my question is could I (and would it work) replace the bolt with a SS one from PTG?

If yes, would anything require additional machining or simply headspace and go?

If not, why not?

Ideally, the original Ti bolt would go in the safe and id use this ptg bolt instead - later i could go back to the standard bolt face and rebarrel to a standard caliber.

To convert a 308 action to a WSM is not a easy conversion. If you buy a new bolt for WSM case, The bolt should come with the proper extractor. The magazine rails will have to be machined. ( Does gunsmith have proper machine and tooling to work a Titanium Action. ) You will need a new Magazine Follower to fit the 7 WSM case And Magazine box.
Once the magazine lips are opened up, The rifle could not be returned back to 308 Win. unless you want to make it a SINGLE SHOT. Or go through the cost of having a detachable magazine fitted to the action with rails for 308 Win. diameter cases.
With the 7mm WSM case .085 longer than the 308 Win. Will the action and magazine be long enough to allow proper longer OACL bullet seating.

May be better to sell the rifle as is and buy an action to match the WSM shells to build on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.