remington 700 receiver old quality control issue

foreign

Hi All
I recently picked up a LA 700 with the intention of doing a build on it. Took the factory barrel off to find the receiver lugs are screwed. something slipped at the factory and trying to find any others.
What it is is the lugs have a step in them so the bolt is only bearing on the outer part of them. about 1/4 of full contact

The action is 20+ years old. serial number is 6598455.
If you have an older Remington with a similar date serial it might pay to check the lugs
Pics
DSC06244.jpg

DSC06246.jpg

You can see where the bolt lugs were bearing by the wear

ouch!!! I have a 666xxxx remmy 700 lh in for a barrel and trigger job at present. The lugs are much better than that (though they are not perfect either).... Is yours even repairable??

Wow that really bites!!! I wonder if there is any way a guy could cut out the barrel threads and receiver lugs so the end of the receiver is about half as thick then thread it and build a sleeve that has new lugs and barrel threads on the inside and tight threads on the outside that match the new threads inside the receiver. Then add lots of red locktite and thread the insert into the end of the receiver very tight and reach in with a end mill and cut out the new lug ways so they match the old still existing ones now sitting right behind them... It would be a VERY long shot and require extensive testing to be sure it was safe afterwards but if a guy were doing the work himself and the time was free it would prove to be an interesting experiment at the very least!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.