Remington 700 PSS Bolt Face Replacement

kifeter

Hi,

I am wondering how to go about removing the bolt face and replacing it on a Remington 700 Short action 308. I want to replace this because the bolt face looks to have some slight pitting. I am not changing the caliber, I just want to replace it with a new bolt face of the same size.

Does anyone know of any videos or have any instructions on how to go about removing and replacing the bolt face?

Regards,
Kris:D

As far as I know, it is not possible to 'replace' the bolt face on a Rem700. You could have the face turned but that would mess with your headspace.

Hopefully one of the gunsmiths on this board will jump in with a real answer.

Hi,

I am wondering how to go about removing the bolt face and replacing it on a Remington 700 Short action 308. I want to replace this because the bolt face looks to have some slight pitting. I am not changing the caliber, I just want to replace it with a new bolt face of the same size.

Does anyone know of any videos or have any instructions on how to go about removing and replacing the bolt face?

Regards,
Kris:D

The normal way to fix a rough bolt face is to re-face it or to buy an after market bolt with the proper bolt face size.

Ether way you will have to check and reset the head space.

If the bolt is ok but just looks bad you may elect to just leave it if it is shooting good.

J E CUSTOM

I have been looking into the PTG replacement bolts. If I where to go with one of those is that just a plug and play situation or will it still need to be taken to a gunsmith to reset the head space?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.