Remington 700 long range.

I know several guys have them set up with Vortex PSTs shooting the 215s with H1000 and getting great performance for the amount paid. Remington does make a stainless version of the Long Range. I believe it's a special unlisted edition, but Sportman's Warehouse carries them. I've heard the QC at Rem is questionable but I've never experienced a problem first hand and I've messed with quite a few over the last few years.

My brother and I have both picked up m700 lr rifles in 300rum over the last couple of months. They are both shooting sub 1" groups at 200 yards with nearly zero load development. We simply took the 175-180 grain bullets we wanted and stuffed the rem cases with enough rl25 to net about 3300 fps. Fed 215 for the fire as usual.
I still have to work up a load with 220-230 grain pills for my rifle; I have 600 of the 220 nos and 225 hdy on the shelf for the rifle already.

His rifle has worked flawlessly from the get go... My rifle needed a bit of milling on the extractor rivet to get clearance for ejecting fired casings; otherwise the rifle was fine from the start. It wasn't enough of an issue for new brass to even notice the problem, only casings with many shots on them from a previous rifle.

As to the trigger.... my rifle has a decent enough trigger that I will not waste the money to replace it. It feels nearly as good as the Timney in my 7stw.

What accuracy at what maximum range do you want?

Or, what's the size of a group at what range you want all your fired shots to land inside of?

Examples.....

1 foot at 800 yards.

6 inches at 1000 yards.

I know several guys have them set up with Vortex PSTs shooting the 215s with H1000 and getting great performance for the amount paid. Remington does make a stainless version of the Long Range. I believe it's a special unlisted edition, but Sportman's Warehouse carries them. I've heard the QC at Rem is questionable but I've never experienced a problem first hand and I've messed with quite a few over the last few years.

I believe you're talking about the 5R Milspec. And they are not the same thing as the Long Range. The Milspec has a jeweled bolt, stainless action, 5R rifled stainless barrel, and comes in a green/black web HS Precision stock.

The last several remington rifles I have received all had misaligned chambers to the bores. One was a long range version.

I believe you're talking about the 5R Milspec. And they are not the same thing as the Long Range. The Milspec has a jeweled bolt, stainless action, 5R rifled stainless barrel, and comes in a green/black web HS Precision stock.

Negative. They indeed do make the 700 LR in stainless.

As far as quality control, I have bought 3 different 700 stainless rifles over the past 2 years and they all look good. Smooth operation, minimal tooling marks, clean engravings on the action etc.

Negative. They indeed do make the 700 LR in stainless.

As far as quality control, I have bought 3 different 700 stainless rifles over the past 2 years and they all look good. Smooth operation, minimal tooling marks, clean engravings on the action etc.

Gotcha. I was not aware they were producing SS LR models now. Thanks for the heads-up.

What accuracy at what maximum range do you want?

Or, what's the size of a group at what range you want all your fired shots to land inside of?

Examples.....

1 foot at 800 yards.

6 inches at 1000 yards.

Bart B, I am new to the long range shooting scene but I have some experience with .308 at 300-400 yards.

My brother and I have both picked up m700 lr rifles in 300rum over the last couple of months. They are both shooting sub 1" groups at 200 yards with nearly zero load development. We simply took the 175-180 grain bullets we wanted and stuffed the rem cases with enough rl25 to net about 3300 fps. Fed 215 for the fire as usual.
I still have to work up a load with 220-230 grain pills for my rifle; I have 600 of the 220 nos and 225 hdy on the shelf for the rifle already.

His rifle has worked flawlessly from the get go... My rifle needed a bit of milling on the extractor rivet to get clearance for ejecting fired casings; otherwise the rifle was fine from the start. It wasn't enough of an issue for new brass to even notice the problem, only casings with many shots on them from a previous rifle.

As to the trigger.... my rifle has a decent enough trigger that I will not waste the money to replace it. It feels nearly as good as the Timney in my 7stw.

Extractors with rivet are only used on magnum calibers?

I know the difference. I have both rifles in my safe. The LR SS is unfired, but I've had the milspec for years. If anyone wants to see pics of the SS LR I'd be glad to post some up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.