Remington 700 long range 7mm rem mag (update)

I'm having the same issue with my 700 Long Range in .300 win mag. Really stiff retracting the bolt after firing.

Right on bro

Glad you got it sorted.

And yes,,, my LR is a shooter as well,,, hopefully I get it fired up in the next few weeks... Lots of fun plinking with my other 30 caliber over the last 4 months.

For those of you that were following my last thread, I'm here with an update. For those of you who dont know I traded a browning x-bolt 7mm rem mag which shot pretty well for a Remington 700 long range 7mm rem mag. When I get the Remington home, it had a bur in the chamber. Long story short, I had a run around with 2 gun shops and Remington before getting my rifle back 3 weeks later. It was a horror show. I've had it back for a few weeks but hadn't got the chance to shoot it. Well today I took it out with some factory ammo just to break it in using hornady 140 grain American whitetail. I was alittle surprised to say the least. First group I fired wasnt impressive. 1.4 moa. I cleaned the rifle and fired a .995 moa. Not bad it's better. Then it completely suprised me and shot a .249 moa then followed by a .681moa. So far, this rifle shows promise with less than 20 rounds down the pipe and still in break in. It still had the junk x-mark trigger set at 4lbs. The chamber is still scratching my brass in the neck and shoulder area but it's not causing sticky extraction. Seems like she wants to shoot. We'll see how it does when I get some rounds down the pipe and start load development. In case people are wondering, this paper was shot to pieces already with other rifles so my had is covering 6.5 rounds and my other pic is trying to cut them out. Not covering up flyers.
I've had the Remington 700 Long Range 300 RUM for awhile now, it's my favorite overall Rifle. For close to medium range (100yds-500yds) I reload the 180gr. SST with H4831sc, when I want to stretch it out I use a 200gr ELD with Retumbo
For my 7mm Rem. Mag. I loaded some 162gr. BTHP with H4831sc

Last edited:
7mm-rem-mag-188in-3-shot-group11.jpg

Thinking about trying this load next

Last edited:
I will say the head space on this rifle us ridiculously tight. All the cam over I could muster on my press only bumped the shoulder .001. Either that or theres something up with my rcbs dies but I've never had this issue before with these dies

I will say the head space on this rifle us ridiculously tight. All the cam over I could muster on my press only bumped the shoulder .001. Either that or theres something up with my rcbs dies but I've never had this issue before with these dies
looks like you are good to go... far too many factory pipes are pretty loose... This one should produce decent speed too while staying to book numbers...

If you need a little more shoulder reset, you can take your shell holder and sand down the face .0001-2 or so. This allows the case a deeper travel into the die before the shell holder hits the bottom of the die.

I'm trading for this same gun this weekend. 700 lr in 7rm, a coworker/friend has it and I worked up a load for it that was shooting pretty well, 162 eldx, 66g rl22. 3100 with my chrono. Trading a ruger hawkeye 257 roberts for it. Unfortunaltely he's a short dude and cut the stock off to about a 12" lop. I will probably be looking for a stock for it and wonder if anyone knows a good replacement for it. Stockys or Boyds?

I'm trading for this same gun this weekend. 700 lr in 7rm, a coworker/friend has it and I worked up a load for it that was shooting pretty well, 162 eldx, 66g rl22. 3100 with my chrono. Trading a ruger hawkeye 257 roberts for it. Unfortunaltely he's a short dude and cut the stock off to about a 12" lop. I will probably be looking for a stock for it and wonder if anyone knows a good replacement for it. Stockys or Boyds?
Stocky's will have a bunch of stocks for it. From the original B&C stock to laminates. Just about everyone makes a stock for the M700. My buddy bought that rifle (300 WM) second hand with a Magpul stock. Shoots tight groups and feeds slick with the detachable mags.

Sounds like a very good reason to upgrade from the factory B&C to an HS Precision, Manners, or one the Stocky's Composite Long Range stocks. I hear they are VERY nice for the money. I have also heard good things about the Magpul stocks, but I am not sure if they are pillar-bedded or bed-blocked?

Oh,,, you guys are hard on my bank account. Ha

I have to stay with my Remmy LR in 30/06 since it ain't worth my funds to change up for the extra Umpha that the 7 Mag offers. Dang Namit that you guys pull the wool from under me every time... LOL...

And yes the art of getting those cases to fit is part of the mix,,, I've been messing around with this for the past 5 years,,, I finally gave up and went back to the FL dies...

I kept feeding the fire-formed cases while backing the die off till I could feel some shoulder tension,,, then turned the die down 1/16" more...

Of course this works the brass more,,, so I anneal the brass after every third shot,,, so far so good as I extend the life of my Lapua brass,,, same thing for my 308 Palma Brass in 308...

I necked sized some brass this winter that was dam tight going in,,, so all those rounds had to be pulled apart to bump things back... Ha...

More trial and error this summer as I try different things,,, my lead in competion will help me get this sorted out this year...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.