remington 700 J lock

ken johnson

What is the difference between a regular 700 action and one with the J lock?I see a lot of guns advertised as not having the J lock so I am assuming it is better without.I found a sendero that I have been looking for but it has the lock.Thanks for any help.

tk... the j-lock is a so called safety device incorporated into the bolt shroud with a plastic "key" to lockout unauthorized users of rifle!!! having said all that, it is worthless for that reason or any other; binds the firing pin spring, but can easily be replaced by the non j-lock shroud from any number of sources for around $20 or so... go to any mainstream supplier you see mentioned here & they'll be able to provide you with one... get rid of it, cheap fix & you'll be as good as you were before they "helped us"! hope this helps... Larry

...if you'd like a good example, go to www.hollandguns.com & take a look at the replacement he offers

The J-lock does not bind the firing pin spring. The J-lock simply locks the cocking piece, in the fired position, so noone can cock the rifle without the key.
The binding issue is with the firing pin itself. Rem thought it was a good idea to reduce the diameter of the firing pin. This allowed the spring to "snake-up" on the pin and, sometimes, bind on the inside of the bolt. I have seen many of these J-lock rifles shoot very well.

Biggest problem with the J-lock system is the firing pin spring Remington used in these rifles. Everyone I have seen is an extremly poor fit and as mentioned coils up and rubs very hard on the inside of the bolt body, not really the firing pin.

It will bind on the pin when the striker assembly is removed from the bolt but when installed into the bolt body, the spring bares very hard against the inside of the bolt body.

This creates inconsistant bolt vibrations when the striker is released and can change the position of the bolt in the receiver from shot to shot.

Best fix I have found, do not just replace the bolt shroud which has the J-Lock on it, replace the entire striker assembly with a quality made, match striker assembly.

The best I have found and the only one I use in my shop is the Gre Tan striker assembly. They are not the cheapest but they are the best I have used.

You can also just replace the firing pin spring with a quality match grade firing pin spring and solve 80% of the problems associated with the J-lock system. But I still recommend going with the entire assembly as they are built to work as one match system and work extremely well.

Go to www.brownells.com and search under part number 100-000-446 and they will come up. They list them at $65.00 which is well worth it.

You get much more consistant trigger pulls using these assemblies as well because of their tight fir to the receiver compared to the factory assemblies.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.