Remington 700 identification

A lot depends on the value you put in finer figured wood stocks. It appears to be fiddleback walnut. The terms fiddleback and tiger striped are often used together. Tiger striped maple would have more contrast between the colors. I build custom muzzleloaders, so I know a little about woods and premiums paid for 'the good stuff'. I will pay $100 to $250+ in premium over the price of a standard, plain stock blank. While the premium ultimately is negotiated between buyer and seller, there is little doubt that this is not just another Rem 700. First of all, they were made a lot better back when this one was built than they are today. It probably is a shooter. Regarding the wood: figured wood is getting harder to come by, so the prices just keep going upward. The fiddleback is pretty, but does not have a striking, 3-D look to it - so average premium added there. What is unusual about the stock in terms of today's wood availability is that the figuring continues through the whole stock from butt to forearm. It doesn't 'come and go', but carries well throughout the entire piece of wood on both sides. That is getting harder to find - especially in the longer pieces required for flintlocks. I would value the stock at an additional $250 in premium over normal prices, mostly because of the wood, but also because it appears to be an original stock from Remington. If you ever go to sell it, you would need to find a buyer that values beautiful wood the same way you do in order to get the value back out of that gun.

I have a possible purchase that I want to know the value of. The man says it's a Remington 700 Tiger Wood stock, made between 1961-82. I have never seen such a stock on a Remington. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Looks like custom shop order.

I have an even prettier piece of wood on my Grade 1, .17 Rem. from the custom shop. Made in late '80's. My .243 ADL from the early 70's's has some figure in the wood as well. I agree that it is probably a nice piece of wood that made it through the production line.

It's a great looking stock for a Remington 700 like many other have said it's a 700 people are getting crazy with prices I own several 700s all bdls all wood stock and have never paid more than 650 for one but then again I send some sell for 1000 or more just because they are collectors pieces or custom shop

Definitely a factory Remington stock and factory leather sling.
I have a 700 BDL 30/06 purchased in the 70's ($200) that has wood similar to that. The wood looked too good to hunt with so I bought some Gun Chaps to cover it. I took the wood stock off and put it in a Ramline synthetic stock when they came out. The wood has been in a gun sock
ever since.
I was told at the time that occasionally a "safari grade" piece of wood got through the system.

I picked up a nice wood stocked Rem. 700 BDL .270 win. (about the same vintage) 6 or 7 years ago with a cheap scope for $500. The wood is nice, but not nearly as nice as this one you're looking at. I think $1000 is high, but that's my opinion only.

I doubt that it's "tiger wood", see article... might just be a nicer piece of walnut, especially for the fact it's a factory rifle. Any provenance showing it might have come from Rem's Custom Shop?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.